Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching from atmel to PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn_burki

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
till now I was working on atmel 89S51/52, now want to switch on PIC. Can any one suggest me that with PIC should I start with as there are a no of available. I want a PIC that is the equivalent of 89S51/52. I want to work on average one. Please also suggest the Programmer if any one is availble for downlaoding.

best regards.

Really don't know why you want to go from one outdated architecture to another one but to answer your question, the PIC16 family is probably closest in performance to a 8051. PIC14 would be close too but I think there are no new devices on PIC14 any more. PIC18 and PIC24 are above your specific 8051 while PIC10/PIC12 are lower level.

hth, Bob

I can’t see real advantage of switching from one microprocessor family to another ..
However, if you would like to try something “different” go for PICAXE ..
You will enjoy all benefits of the PIC-family and in the same time it won’t cost you an arm and a leg ..
All what you need is an access to a serial port (no need for special programmer or cable) and all is free from here:
**broken link removed**

Rgds,
IanP
:D

Programming Editor Full Download
V5.2.10 (full version, approx. 39MB)
https://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/bas805.exe

The PICAxe is just a preprogrammed PIC with an interpreter.
Buy a decent programmer and you can choose from hundreds of PICs and many programming languages like asm, BASIC, C, PASCAL, JAL
I would recommend an 18F series PIC and Swordfish BASIC SE (the free student edition)

Thanks for the reply.
My question was to understand the need of PIC to compair to atmel. I want to use the most common one which most of the people may be using and the programming may be easy. please suggest some of the PIC series nos.

regards.

sn_burki said:
Thanks for the reply.
My question was to understand the need of PIC to compair to atmel. I want to use the most common one which most of the people may be using and the programming may be easy. please suggest some of the PIC series nos.

regards.

You can use PIC or AVR controllers both of them are cheap and widely using.

Start with PIC16F877a or ATtiny

2. then 18 series controllers (PIC18F4550,4520,2550 etc)/Atmega etc.

Good luck.

Agreed. 16F877 and 16F648 for midrange devices and later 18F series for faster cores and improved instruction set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back