Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switched power supply with one that ha less output, electronic peforming differently

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooquick

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a vtower extreme vaporizer. It has a heating element on it and also a fan. The power supply on went out on it, and it costs 40 bucks to replace. When it first started going out it seemed like a loose connection, when I would wiggle the wire and push in the male/female end to the plug together it would eventually come back on. It is now completely out. When plugged in the power supply makes a quiet ticking noise, it sounds like something is trying to trigger, but never actually does.

I was given another power supply with the same connector and almost the same specs. The specs for the original are
Input: AC100-240V, 50/60Hz, 1.5A
Output: 19V---2500mA

and the new power supply specs are
input 100v-240v, 50-60hz 1.5ma Max
output 12v 4.2A

The vaporizer has a function to turn sound on and off, it beeps when buttons are clicked when it is on. When I plug in the new power supply it causes the vaporizer to beep continuously sounding like a warning function, but that could just be a coincidence. So Any recommendations on what I should do? I figure a lower output won't damage the vaporizer, but don't know for sure. Anyway to fix the original power supply?

Power supply cables are prone to break near the plug. Often it's invisible, inside the insulation.

Either the break causes a disconnnect, or it causes a short if the insulation gets punctured.

I see if I can locate a break by bending the wire back and forth while watching a voltmeter. Intermittent signal lets me know I'm bending the broken spot.

When I suspect a break near the plug I cut the cable at the plug. Then I remove some insulation. I check that I get voltage across the wires. If I don't then I remove some more insulation and check again.

I don't always remember to check which wire is which polarity, but it's vital not to get it wrong when reconnecting.

There are times I have sawed apart the wall wart, after finding nothing amiss at the plug end.

Usually I reuse the plug. I remove the molded plastic. This can be dangerous by using a knife. So I use pliers and diagonal cutters. (In the process try to see what color wire goes to which tap on the plug.)

I solder on the wires. Then I fabricate a new plastic part around it, dripping on hot melt glue. This is not so hard to do. It's easier than trying to match the plug size, seeing there are now so many different coax plug sizes out there.

When plugged in the power supply makes a quiet ticking noise, it sounds like something is trying to trigger, but never actually does.
It seems this indicate a variety of problems that sometimes can be related to a bad capacitor. If you're lucky you may be able to repair the unit by replacing some electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. No need for the original schematics, some good macro pictures of the PCB board can help identifying the components. Can you provide some better macro photos of the board that shows the traces and the top marks of the devices in that power supply?

And by the way, you cannot expect to replace the original 19V power supply with a 12V power supply not without some issues, definitely that’s the reason of the warning sound. It was not designed for the 12V…

well I tried taking it apart and noticed a loose connection, that was connected to a copper sheet that was around the power supply. I tried soldering it back, but it didn't work. I might have caused the disconnection when i took it apart. I figured the copper sheet was the ground anyway. I don't know much about electronics, so think it might be over my head to fix it. I saw a universal power supply for laptop on amazon, do you guys think this would work? I noticed the inputs are the same, the output has the same voltage at 19V the only difference is the after the 19v it says 4A, not sure what it means, but the one on amazon says 2.1A. I'm guessing it is amperage?

Edit: I also just noticed the new power supply that is being sold by the company that made the vaporizer sales a newer power supply that is made for the newer model, the output for that one is 19V 2500Ma. And he said it would work, so I am assuming it is 2.5A which is close to 2.1A.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Notebook-Adapter-Charger-Connectors/dp/B0067GOKLG

Last edited:

Did you check for voltage at the plug after you did the solder repair?

Did you get any different results than you got before the repair?

The Amazon unit has specs which are similar to your original unit. It's likely to work, provided the vaporizer is not broken. And assuming its plug will fit the vaporizer. If it's universal then it ought to come with an assortment of plugs. I see it costs $10.50 which is a whole lot better than $40.

You would find out a lot if you could hook up a spare 19V power supply to the vaporizer. Maybe a laptop AC supply? Or by combining a car battery in series with a 6V supply (4 D cells), etc.?

Thanks brad, I was able to test the vaporizer and it is working, I tried another power supply, but the output was 12v and it made the vaporizer beep, must have been a warning beep. The output on the power supply I used was 12V and 4A so the amperage was good but the voltage was off. The universal power supply is right on, on the voltage, but the amperage is off. Just hoping it won't cause the vaporizer to beep

Status
Not open for further replies.