Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switched mode power supply(SMPS) 12v.500ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABEL DANIEL

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im working on mini pro..for which i selectd SMPS(with feedback).OP is designd for 12v dc,500mA. . But im not getting the OP...i dont know exactly why?i was wondering how this crkt starts working initially without any feebak...

Does a load need to be connected for it to start operating?

Does a light load, or a heavy load, create an extreme condition at startup, perhaps causing stagnation of the oscillator?

Does a load need to be connected for it to start operating?

Does a light load, or a heavy load, create an extreme condition at startup, perhaps causing stagnation of the oscillator?

Thanku for de concern that u hv for my prblm....i did tested it with 2 ordinary LEDS(20mA) as the load,but it didnt serve..... also tried with no load,but no op.
here is my crkt that i got from an electronics forum....but im using 3843 instead of 3842.. SMps.JPG

Last edited:
cant view the circuit .. bad link
also have some problem understanding abbreviations you used ..
for clarity please avoid abbreviations

you selected SMPS - does that mean you purchased one .. or made one from an existing tested design ?

i did one test...i removed all the feedback and disconnected the 3843 as well,ie i tried to get the op with open-loop,with just mosfet(switch),F.G(for switching MOSFET),,transfmr and fast rectifier section...but didnt get the op...what can we infer from this..problem with mosfet...can u suggest some mosfet for SMPS.???

sorry i got wrong with de link..here it isSMps.JPG

i didnt purchase....im makin from design that i got fom an electronics forum..

this is from the UC3842/3 datasheet
"The output stage, suitable for driving N-Channel MOSFETs, is low in the off-state.
Differences between members of this family are the under-voltage lockout thresholds and maximum
duty cycle ranges. The UC3842 and UC3844 have UVLO thresholds of 16V (on) and 10V (off), ideally
suited off-line applications The corresponding thresholds for the UC3843 and UC3845 are 8.5 V and 7.9 V"

For your circuit this means a change in the biasing resistors of the Mosfet ..
you should calculate the resistors based on turn ON/OFF threshold voltage requirements

so you are saying that...oscillations are not starting because its trapped in UVLO condition??do i need to make some change in the current sensing network(pin 3)???can u help me in that??
can u help me in that calculations?

Last edited:

Thanku for de concern that u hv for my prblm....i did tested it with 2 ordinary LEDS(20mA) as the load,but it didnt serve..... also tried with no load,but no op.
here is my crkt that i got from an electronics forum....but im using 3843 instead of 3842..View attachment 72808
today i tested the crkt again..but no Output...but when
i probed at pin6..there was a switching waveform..but i wonder..its of very low frequency..why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.