Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch mode power supply +-33V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyzer

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
top250y transformer schematics

I need to build a switch mode power supply.My circuit requires +-33V 3A power.Can somebody advice me a schematic for me? I dont want to use big, heavy transformators.I'll place it in a small box (of course if it is possible).Thank you.

Analyzer

smps top249 schematics

Hi

I do not have any schematics but have you tried the software switchers made simple by National. Check their homepage, you can also simulate direcrtly at their HP.

I will check if I have any schematics in the drawer:)

Good luck

Analyzer said:
I need to build a switch mode power supply.My circuit requires +-33V 3A power.Can somebody advice me a schematic for me? I dont want to use big, heavy transformators.I'll place it in a small box (of course if it is possible).Thank you.

Analyzer
How mouch power is rquired?

Yea admin is right! Average 200W

Motorola used to have a good AN about SMPS's.... Can't find the link, tough. :(

hi,do you mearn this PDF?
i think maybe you are making a audio ampifier,the 3A current maybe a little small.
regards.

I was wiundering if you would like to reasses your need for a swichmode power supply.

Sony made a amplifier about 12 years ago that was as you have requested swiched mode and quite lite in weight,yet boosting 60 watts per channel.

I bought one of these amps and it would not produce the rms quoted without distortion and lukly for me it went wrong just befor the quarentee ran out . the shop manager said that he wished he had not supplied any of these as they were all going wrong.

I think that switched mode power supplies are OK if they just site ther and provide ther constant rated power but when there asked to work hard and deliver high currents ( momenterily ) they have problems.

I would stick to a linear power supply you can fry eggs on them befor they give up and are far more reliable than switched mode. I hope I have not started an avalanch of replies about the prowe`s and con`s of power supplies but thats my experiance.

Hope this helps

BarrybeaR

A good and very simple SMPS can be built using the TOPSwitch IC from Power Integrations. I builded a laptop power supply 220V / 19V_3A, with TOP249 and it work great. Also the datasheet and application notes are excelent. The producer also have a free software pack for easy design of your supply

maybe it is easy to build a SMPS with TOPSWITCH,but a 200w SMPS only can select TOP249Y and TOP250Y,under 220V ac.it is not so good for a audio system.maybe a ring transformer with a lot of capacitor is a good choice.
best wishes.

Hi,
i have built simple smps for amplifier 2 x tda7294 with international rectifier's ir2153 fluo lamp driver and 2 irf740 mosfets on heatsink from pc psu , simple overcurrent protection by means current transformer - small ferrite toroid, power transformer - ferrite core toroid 45x28x12mm, no pwm regulation. It sounds clear and loud enough for me. I think you can get from it, say, 300 w easily.
You can also build smps with pwm regulation IC for example tl494, sg3524(5) etc. If you need more amps - use more mosfets in parallel.
Look for application notes power IC manufacturers (http://www.irf.com/technical-info/anarchive.html - one of these)
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back