Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super Small Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingSparks

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, does anyone know if super small female spade connectors exit? I need to connect two components together but I want to avoid soldering if possible. The contacts on the components are 1mm wide and about 2mm long, the smallest spade connectors I can find are 2.8mm wide and way too long, I'm new to this never having worked in this industry before so any suggestions will be appreciated.
--- Updated ---

This is the component if that helps.
SLIDE SWITCH.JPG

Last edited:

Doesn't look like connector, rather a switch with SMD pins. Some female contacts may fit by chance.
Thanks, that's exactly what it is, I'm obviously using the wrong terminology. so I'm looking for a way to connect wires to the pins without soldering.

Hi,

Assuming it's solid wire, not strands..., a not serious approach and preferably as a temporary solution to avoid soldering - which would still require heat shrink tubing, small flat pliers, and a cigarette lighter (or similar if a heat gun thing is not available), and better done with transparent heat shrink tube to see what's going on... Wrap several coils of the bare wire around each pin, press/squash the wire coils mercilessly with the pliers until you think the pin and wire make good contact, cover that with a bit of heat shrink and heat with care. It keeps such temporary connections in place and makes reasonable contact so it is effective but is really only a short-term solution. I only use that for e.g. rocker switches for breadboards I will need to re-use at a later date and don't want to have to solder and desolder them. You can get away with doing this without heat shrink tube but the wire loosens quicker and run the risk of shorting two pins together if it's something that will be moved around.

Alternative creative slack solution (which I have never tried) is to see if there are ferrule connectors (also called boot connectors for some reason) of maybe 1mm or 1.5mm to 2mm diameter, cut off the plastic sheath bit and use the metal tube part as a bridge between the two component's pins, and press tight with pliers again. Possibly likely to come loose quickly if switch will be touched frequently.

I'd get a soldering iron, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back