Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sun Solaris programs on X86 Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookey

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sparc emulator x86

Are run Sun Solaris programs on X86 Linux or Windows platform is passable?

emulator for solaris 8 x86

The soft must support x86,otherwise It can't
work.

run solaris programs in windows

Can't run!

sparc on intel platform emulator

sorry, running Solaris programs in Windows or Linux is not possible... even if you download the source code, a very significant modification has to be done to make it work for another OS, more so on Windows...

what you can do is download Solaris 8 for Intel from the Sun download site...

solaris sparc emulator

If i install Solaris 8 for intel, I can use
software for solaris ?

emulator sparc sun intel

if you install solaris 8 for intel , you can transfer the file and s/w for solaris but not all run in your intel machine

can not run.
because intel platform and sun platform have diverse method to compile program.

i agree with jhonny_yang... and i apologize for not clarifying this...

not all applications would run in the intel machine, specially if processor-specific code included in the application is necessary for it to complete its task...

Sun (Sparc, UltraSparc) and Intel (x86) are not compatible architecures. They are not 'binary' compatible, which means that executable for one machine will not run on the other one.

Solaris CPU emulator ..

But I heard some tool can emulator Sparc CPU .. let you run solaris tools on Linux , but performance maybe slow ...
you can search sparc Emulator .. maybe it work ..
virtualPC/soft_windows can emulator X86 on PowerPC CPU ..

Re: Solaris CPU emulator ..

andy2000a said:
But I heard some tool can emulator Sparc CPU .. let you run solaris tools on Linux , but performance maybe slow ...
you can search sparc Emulator .. maybe it work ..
virtualPC/soft_windows can emulator X86 on PowerPC CPU ..

www.simics.com
simics is platform emulator, only suitable for testing but not for
running apps

Solaris for SPARC and for x86 are not compatible, 'cause they SPARC and x86 use different ISA(instruction set), but if you use some instruction level simulator (such as semics), you can run a virtual machine(even different ISA with the host machine!) that can run apps for different ISA.

Solaris on Unix BSD

Does anyone work with OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc, and can run EDA programs compiled for Solaris, like Synopsys DC, Mentor IC, etc?

I am afraid that the x86 and the SPARC architecture are two different and "hostile" worlds. Solaris may work on both but that has nothing to do with applications. The same applies to other OSs I am afraid. In general, applications for x86 do not work on SPARC (except if an emulator is used).

EDA some tool move to Linux ..

I think EDA vendor will porting some EDA to Linux X86 ..
like NC_sim , Synopsys , ECS , apollo, hspice , spiceVision ...
and Cadence will release composer on 2003 Q2 (I hope so..)

simics can not simulation Sparc on X86..

simic only simulation Sparc CPU on Sun system not X86 PC ..

**broken link removed**

have anyone use sparc emulator on X86 ??

Re: simics can not simulation Sparc on X86..

andy2000a said:
simic only simulation Sparc CPU on Sun system not X86 PC ..
not only SPARC, but also MIPS, ARM, PPC, Alpha, AMD64, IA64, ...

hi

since i can see some adviser here 8) ....can install SUN Solaris 9 as OS on my x86 machine ?, is it better than Redhat 9....?

:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back