Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SUN and IBM PC....which one is the best for layout design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SUN and IBM PC....which one is the best for layout desig

gezzas525 said:
Sun to Release 64-BIT SOLARIS for Opteron.

https://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5089274.html?tag=nefd_top

Well what do you think is gona come next?

Opteron had SUN certification and now plans to release Solaris for it.
All that is left is for Mentor/Cadence/Synopsis to release the software (2004-2005) theres a slide somewhere on the web.

POS ! That's the stupid of Sun !

Tell me is there any EDA software run on Solaris X86 ( Solaris on Intel Platform).
I don't caremuch about the future. Do you buy a system now to prepare to run software which would be released in a very longtime? Of course not.
The bottom line is there are very few serious software running on Intel platform. I am talking about IC design tools, layout, place and route...
There is none as I know of is 64 bits of EDA application on Intel platform.

When I run DFT,it show memory not available!!!

It need 1.4G memory!!!!

wait only for a few months until the software starts trickling in, by 2005-2006 all the tools would have been ported.

theres a slide on the web featuring roadmaps for Cadence and Mentor.

KLEOS

Check out the new Apple G5. Sure you can't get any EDA software for it yet, but it is a 64-bit dual 2GHz IBM PowerPC 970 with independent 1GHz front side busses and up to 8Gig of RAM, all for $2999.
Virginia Tech recently built the worlds second fastest super computer (fastest in the US) using 1100 of them for $5.4million !!!

Theres nothing really special about the G5, what worries me though is Apple decided to use unbuffered memory which is not a good idea when your dealing with multiple high density DIMMS. Next is the fact that the performance of the G5 is just plain over exagerated as you may or may not know apple ussed the GCC compiler in thier benchmarks for both the xeon and G5, unfortunetly GCC doesnt favor the xeon(the worst compiler to use on the xeon platform) and so the benchmarks reflected that(its on Apples site). Now this is whats really funny I came accross a set of the same benchmarks on a DUAL 1.8 Opteron and they were 30-50% faster than the G5 (in ALL benchmarks) except now they have been pulled down, and why is Apple refusing to release G5 machines for review to websites (AMDMB, Anandtech).

One more thing, the G5 is classed as a desktop machine (with a workstation price tag), why the hell were they comparing it to a DUAL 3.06Ghz Xeon DELL Precision workstation????

Its not worth paying that kind of money on an Apple machine.

What about a comparison to the Opteron, oh i forget thats faster lets not do that DUH silly me ;)

KLEOS

another thing about the SUN machine I want to mention and some people may know this.

Open a Blade 2000, ever look at the memory???
PC100?
no iam not mistaken, take a look.
Why for a $20000 machine?
Yeah right

Forget SUN machines for HOME use, too expensive and too slow.
I said HOME use. i have nothing againt them when used anywhere else.

KLEOS

hugo_nz said:
Check out the new Apple G5. Sure you can't get any EDA software for it yet, but it is a 64-bit dual 2GHz IBM PowerPC 970 with independent 1GHz front side busses and up to 8Gig of RAM, all for $2999.
Virginia Tech recently built the worlds second fastest super computer (fastest in the US) using 1100 of them for $5.4million !!!

Never heard any serious EDA tools running on Apple !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back