Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions on working with FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh_

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA suggestions

Hi all,

I've been making my first foray into the world of logic design.
As a first project, I've designed a very simple 4-bit CPU in about 150 lines of Verilog. I simulated it and it works fine. My question is: Where do I go from here?

I know that Xilinx and Altera are the major FPGA makers. I would probably want to use an FPGA (for later expandability). What kind of synthesiser software would I need to get? I tried Icarus Verilog's "xnf" and "fpga" outputs, but they were plagued by internal errors. Presumably I would need something from Xilinx or Altera; what kind of expense am I looking at?

And where do you get the FPGAs to begin with? I've seen **broken link removed**, but it might be overkill. If you just get the FPGA (no dev board), how complex is it to plug into a circuit?

I'm definitely a newbie at this stuff; thanks for any help you might have.

-- Josh

FPGA suggestions

Xilinx: ISE 6.2 + Modelsim SE 6.0 + Leonardo Spectrum + EDK + System Generator

Altera: Quartus II 4.1 + Modelsim SE 6.0 + Simplify + SOPC Builder + DSP Builder

Re: FPGA suggestions

Hi,

Sometimes when you write a code in HDL,in simulators it works well.When you want to synthesis it,the syntheser program gives errors.

In my oppinion first of all you have to use a synthesis tool to synthesize your code.And see the errors.You can use xilinx ise software.It has a free web pack.You can use XST tool for synthesing vhdl and verilog codes.

There are many FPGA vendors.Atmel have FPGAs.Their FPGAs gate capacities are small but these FPGAs have dip packages so if you want to construct PCBs and if your design is not so complex you can use them.

Actel have FPGAs.
Altera have FPGAs.
Xilinx have FPGAs.

Now I am using Xilinx SpartanIIE FPGAs.Because they are low cost and their performance is good.

You can use Mentor tools for simulation and synthesis.For simulation you can use modelsim.For synthesis you can use Leonardo Spectrum.I like Leonardo.It is a very good synthesis tool.

Best Regards,
mse mse

Now you consider FPGA's from Lattice...

Does anyone know why in A-L-T-E-R-A the A gets changed to an @? Is it a trademark issue?

-- Josh

hi all

Guide or tell me something about SOPC boards
and how to programe it
and something about JTAG or USB connection etc.,

Well, I have used the Foundation ISE software with the Spartan FPGA´s and I think it´s really good.

josh_ said:
Does anyone know why in A-L-T-E-R-A the A gets changed to an @? Is it a trademark issue?

-- Josh
yup that's right

i'd say no need to make ur own development board
not worth the pain
work with xilinx FPGAs on digilent kits
and use ISE 6.2 + Modelsim SE 6.0 + Leonardo Spectrum

Leonardo spectrum's another verson is going to come in the market called tool precesion i guess it is going to be completly different from earlier one both are from mentor graphics...
you can try on the tools for FPGA flow flow
Active HDL 7.2 + Synplify Pro 8.4 + Xlinx ISE 8.2
please let me know if you need any further details on these tools..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back