Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions on Electronic Load Design for my application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singapura

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Electronic Load Design

I am building an active load for a high-current (125A) low voltage (5Vdc) power supply.

My intention is to use the GP500LSS06S for my application and attached is a simple block diagram on the design. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you.

Re: Electronic Load Design

enclosed pdf files

regards - haymeron

To use a PWM signal to drive the MOSFETS is one way in using them as an active load. The problem comes when you do some serious testing and eval of PSU's you will have a problem measuring the noise on the output of the PSU under test as you will have the effects of the PWM on there. PWM will be good for transient response test but for noise you need a linear drive.

I made a 50v/50A unit with some 25 X IRF1010 in // on a massive forced cooled heatsink operating in a linear mode.

E

To use a PWM signal to drive the MOSFETS is one way in using them as an active load. The problem comes when you do some serious testing and eval of PSU's you will have a problem measuring the noise on the output of the PSU under test as you will have the effects of the PWM on there. PWM will be good for transient response test but for noise you need a linear drive.

I made a 50v/50A unit with some 25 X IRF1010 in // on a massive forced cooled heatsink operating in a linear mode.

E

Thanks to haymeron for the design tip, though, that's the first time I see a PWM used for PSU load testing.

E-design has a good point regarding the intended purpose and possible noise issues for such an approach. In the past, I did design an active linear load to test a 2kV PSU at 1.6A. This time round, however, it is the high current (125A) that really concerns me.

Thanks for the advices!

I am building a 50V/10A active load, but now want a di/dt controlling function,anyone can suggest how to design it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back