Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions on a cheap Digital oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

trend

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
digital oscilloscope cheap

Hello, I have been semi following the Digital oscilloscope Project, and that has got me to the point of me wanting one.. but just not having enough time to build one.

What do you'll suggest for a Digital oscilloscope? I would like something inexpensive to get me started... preferably ~$100.

I looked into the gameboy Digital oscilloscope, but I am not sure how good this is (is it worth the money?)
I definitly like the portability of it.. that is huge, but if it doesn't work .. :/

If the only decent one is computer controlled, I might just have to go with that for the time being...

What do you'll think of all the "old" ones on ebay? do models really very that much (for the hobbiest?)

thanks guys!
Lee

cheap digital oscilloscope

Hi,

I suggest you go for something like this:
**broken link removed**

/Rambo

Yeah, I would like a fluke... but they are way out of my ~$100 price range :/

thanks though!

$100 digital scope on eBay - hmmm. You won't find much at that price, except broken fixer-upper units.

How about a plug-in card for your PC? I don't know if this product is any good, but it's in your price range:
**broken link removed**

ISA.. yuck :/

thanks though

Oops, I missed that. Got an old 486 computer sitting around? Build yourself a museum artifact!

If you don't have any scope yet, buy a used analog scope first.

why an analog scope ? what is the diff :/

Several years ago, a Tektronix sales engineer came into my office hoping to sell me their latest $30,000 TDS784 digital scope. I listened to his sales pitch, and then pulled from my pocket a small device powered by a 9V battery and said, "show me the signal on this output pin." For about fifteen minutes he pushed buttons and turned knobs, struggled with aliasing and uncertain trigger level, but he couldn't get a sensible display. I powered-up my trusty old Tek 465B analog scope, and in a few seconds we saw the sinewave+pulse waveform clear as day. The 9V powered device was an old oscilloscope demo board made by Tektronix!

If you know exactly what you want to measure, digital scopes are great. But if you are just poking around a circuit ... well ... I did not buy that fancy new $30,000 digital scope. Even today, I still use analog scopes most of the time.

You can get a halfway decent used analog scope for $100.

thanks!

After a quick google search.. I still cannot tell the diff between an analog oscilloscope and digital oscilloscope.

Can you explain please.

Thanks for the help, I believe I am going to take your suggestion and go with an analog one (once I know for sure I will be able to understand how to use it :) )

thanks! Lee

An analog scope is similar to a TV. It just translates input signals into screen output.
A digital scope on the other hand is like a capture card. It does an ADC on an input signal, stores them in memory, and displays them on a screen. Owing to the high sampling rates used, it usually involves a substantial amount of memory.

As digital scopes have memory, you can essentially "freeze" the display. Hence, it allows the capturing of non-periodic signals. For analog scopes, a non-periodic signal would just flash by.

Digital scopes also have the added capability to output to a PC.

hmm..

The XYZs of Digital O's does not work.. but this does:
**broken link removed**

I've never used the Parallax scope, but it looks like a toy. Only 500 kHz sample rate and 200 kHz bandwidth. It would be useful for some specific applications, but almost everyone needs more bandwidth than that.

Yeah, that is sorta what they said.. It can only measure up to 12v. The main idea of having this scope is the portability (hook it up toa laptop) and be able to debug iC/uC's like the bs2 (and maybe other uCs)

Anyone have a better product like this for around the same money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back