Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for high power high voltage LED buck driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my led buck driver

Hi there - I'm starting up work on a buck driver for 4 high power LEDs in series. I would like to drive it from about 0-1A at about 12-16V. My supply voltage will range from 30-48V. I will be using an AVR to control this. Due to the high power, and how small of an enclosure this will be in, I'm looking to maximize my efficiency - so I'd like this to be a synchronous buck.

Now - for dimming the LEDs - I figure I can either PWM them or I can just adjust the current driving them. I would prefer to PWM them, as I figure I can probably get better dynamic range that way and also my understanding is that an LED's output wavelength changes with respect to current.

However, I can live with just adjusting the current.

One idea I had was to just use a normal voltage feedback DC/DC buck controller like a Linear LTC3812-5. I would then have a low side current sense resistor and use an op-amp configured as a non-inverting amplifier to generate my 0.8V feedback voltage. I guess somehow my AVR would control the gain of the op-amp to adjust the current - I haven't thought that part through too carefully... This would of course give me current control, not PWM control.

For PWM control - I was thinking that maybe I could again have the same configuration, except that my PWM would be controlling two FETs - a FET turning on/off the string of LEDs, and also a FET disconnecting the op-amp from the feedback pin on the buck controller, which would have a capacitor on it. This idea scares me... It seems to me that there are a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong with this idea...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.