Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

suggestion on IC's with higher current carrying capacities for Pulse Width Modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasan.kamal

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello. i require a suggestion for an IC used for PWM. right now i am working with 555 for generating a pulsating DC output but the issue is that 555 only allows a current of 200 mA. If it is possible can anyone help me out to know about wht i can use to replace this 555 so that i can play with the currents upto 1A.

Thank you

hey..
i have actually tried that but i am unable to control the amplification of the current as it WILL give hfe^2 times the current even if it is not required... so are there any IC havin current rating of atleat 1 A which can give me a pulsed DC op atleast...?

I'd say reduce the current entering the base of the transistor then.

Another idea is use a transistor powered by the 555 supply of say 6 volts, then have the transistor drive a relay.

I don't think a direct connection from the 555 timer to the relay will work because you wouldn't develop the current needed to pull the contact in.

Last edited:

no sir i tried that also but in the end it was all to complicated i also tried a lot many types and combination of transistors but the results were not that satisfactory. are you aware of any IC with a higher A rating. i am asking this again n again as i am unaware of any other way to increase the current, if you have any other suggestion u can put that forward also. thank you sir.

I also know with the mircocontroller 'Arduino' which is capable of pwm you need to use a h-bridge.

https://www.mouser.com/knowledge/rohmsemiconductor/rohmhbridgedrivers/

I've also realized that a relay wouldn't work because of chattering which might cause arcing, in addition to that, the time required for the magnetic field to decay.

Another idea I just thought of is use of a SCR, though I don't think it would do nice things to the 555 timer.

ok sir. jus to check by SCR u mean Semiconductor controlled rectifier right ? i havnt worked wit it yet but i think its somwht like a Zener diode. if u have any related circuits please help me out with those also. thank u

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

also i am tryin to remove the 555 completed from the circuit and hence need a new ic

Yes that's what I mean by SCR, I've haven't used one myself.

I don't think you should remove the 555 timer considering it's size, if you got an IC that could handle 1 amp, you will need to heat sink it.

hasan,

what device do you intend to drive with the PWM control ?

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back