Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion on FPGA and DSP starter materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

mona_c

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA starter

Hello every one

well my prob is..can one suggest me some good stuff for FPGA starters.....some good maerial..specially relaed with DSP..... i m a new bie in this field......so help me plzz

Mona

Re: FPGA starter

vvvvv said:
Xilinx FPGA Starter Kit site www.xilinx.com

thanx a lot..i have been thru this site.....cud u plz tell me more articles

be blessed

bye

well sorry..may b i wasnt clear..i need theoritical background..specially the comparision of conventional DSP with FPGA

plzz help me

be blessed
Mona

I feel you are asking for Fpga Architecture and its basic Hardware Information ...
like LUT, CLB, interconnection scemes ...
These are easy to find ... You can search on google with tearms like .... "FPGA Basics" ... Programmable Logic in FPGA ... etc

if feel difficuly then ask as i have some files on that issue ... which i used to submit my reserch paper "Trends in Digital Designing " ... in my last semester of computer engineer some days before ...

now i am in hurry of EID ... will send these files later if u asked ...

Any ways enjoy ur time ...

EID Wishes for all of us ...

dear fahadislam
i need the files please upload or send them me if it's possible.
thanks .

FPGA starter

DSPs and FPGAs are utterly different devices, but they can both do digital signal processing.

A DSP is a microprocessor optimized for efficient multiply-accumulate loops. You write a program that executes your signal processing (or other) algorithm.

An FPGA is like a box full of unconnected digital logic chips. You connect the logic to implement your signal processing (or other) stages. Modern FPGAs include registers, multipliers, fast arithmetic, and ROM/RAM blocks that help you build signal processing stages.

I've used DSP chips for many years. About five years ago, I stopped using them because modern FPGAs are so much faster and less expensive.

A good way to learn FPGA signal processing is to buy a low-cost FPGA development kit, and read app notes like these:
**broken link removed**

hi everybody..
i am also a newbie and hoping that somebody give me some idea on how to start my project. i am doing a project : FPGA based image compression using walsh hadamard transform. i am asked to used VHDL and i am not quite familiar.plz somebody.any pointer?

thanx Fahad ji for ur reply..hope u had a good Eid & it would be so nice of u if u can upload those files here..coz like me many others r looking 4 same...

thanx echo47 for ur reply....but can suggest me some links where i can get the comparision of DSP & FPGA....

Be blessed

bye for now
MOna

FPGA starter

Many DSP-vs-FPGA articles are five or six years old. That's when Xilinx put multiplier blocks into their FPGAs, and seriously impacted the DSP chip market. However, FPGAs are not for everyone. It's expensive to convert an engineering department from C and assembler firmware design to HDL hardware design. Also, most engineers find HDL more difficult to learn. I generally agree with this article:
http://www.hunteng.co.uk/info/fpga-or-dsp.htm

That article refers to this article by a Xilinx guy: "FPGAs: The high-end alternative for DSP applications":
http://www.dsp-fpga.com/articles/id/?2

I see several more related articles on that same site.

You can find lots more by searching Google for these words: DSP FPGA comparison.

Hi again ...
i m just attaching the relevant portion of my research paper ... as my internet is very slow and so cannot attach all files ...
specially seee references at end of paper ...
and also these links are better
**broken link removed**
download its chapter 8 slides ...... as it is about fpga architecture (i studied that book in my SOC cource )...

**broken link removed**
also see fpga on wikipedia ...

if want much more detail on fpga , dsp etc .... then see techonline technical papers ... **broken link removed**

waisay mujay sure hai KE meri field main larkia nahi hoo saktiii mona ji .......... :cry: ...
lakin phir bhi agar aa gai hai to koi baat nahi ...
if still feel unsatisfactory call me ... on my hotmail id ( fahadislam2002 ) ...
Take care .... Phir milay gai :)-

FPGA starter

will u tell me plz how i can b fpha expert ? i am woking on model sim how i can learn varilog in better or perfessional way thank u

FPGA starter

using FPGAs is more like driving a car. the more you drive, the better you get. running simulations on modelsim might help in the beginning but if you really want to get into FPGAs then buy a development board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back