Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggested preparation before applying to a MSc-PhD program

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagos.jl

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all! Maybe this post is a little out of context, but I would really like to enrich from the experience of all of you that have gone through this way before.
I have a BSc degree in EE and two years of experience in analog IC design. I'm planning to apply for a postgraduate program with the aim of obtaining a MsC and then a PhD in the field of high frequency IC design, beginning Fall 2008. I would be grateful if you could help me by giving your advice with regard to the following issues:

1. Since I have no previous experience in RFIC design, I would like to tackle now some implementation in order to enhance my resume prior to applying. Most application deadlines will be due by december 2007. Therfore, I would like to do something simple yet interesting enough to catch a little attention during the application screening process, something developable in an 8-month time frame (note that by simple I don't mean easy: I dig challenges, it's only that I don't have too much time). I am familiar with general RF and telecommunications theory, and I also have experience with EDA tools (Cadence, Tanner, Synopsys) and some knowledge of ADS and MW Office. I think I might also have the possibilty to go to fab, but is not really important to manufacture the design since it would take too long. The question is then:
What would you suggest as an interesting design to implement??(personally I am interested in things like front-ends design, UWB and MMICs in general)

2. I also would like to make the most out of the time I will have untill fall 2008, and thus I intend to start learning theory by myself (I know that research takes most of a postgraduate student's time, leaving almost nothing for actual study and doing coursework). I think that until fall 2008 I have enough time to devour the basic references on the field of telecommunications and RFIC design and also advance my level in the basic sciences (math & physics). The question is then:
What titles would you suggest studying thoroughly???

I think that most of you who had pursued graduate studies in the field of RFIC design could think of this questions as "if I had a time machine to go back in time, what would I have done/learned if I had 1 free year prior to attending grad school, and 8 months prior to applying??"

Needless to say that I really thank in advance your advice with regard of these two issues or anything in general that you would like to recommend!!! :D

Best regards,

JL.

Re: Suggested preparation before applying to a MSc-PhD progr

for books Razavi and Lee are good places to start.

Re: Suggested preparation before applying to a MSc-PhD progr

Thanks for the advise, toonafishy! I have access to both books and will start with them as soon as possible (I have already reviewed Razavi's, but not thoroughly).

Any Ideas about a possible implementation???

Regards,
JL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back