Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest regulator for automotive electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a telematics system for use on 12v/24v vehicles. I have been using the L5970D switching regulator for my 5v rail but it has been failing once in a while, and while Googling I found others have this problem also. So I am starting do doubt the choice of this part. What might be a suitable replacement or alternative? I could look for another switcher, but, maybe a plain old LM2575? Or a 1117? Thank you for your suggestions.

LM2575 should be a good choice. I have used LM2676 for an automobile applicaion and it never had any problem.

I´ve designed equipment for vehicles ( mainly, alarm system ) and I can point that, more important that regulator choice, is the protection against agressive noises comming from motor combusting sparks.
A simple but robust way to provide some protection, is a set of Diode/Capacitor in 'T' topology ( Diode-capacitor-Diode ) previous to cregulator, witch performs double action :
-- Spikes filtering
-- Sustention voltage during ignition.

Of course, other components can provide additional protections.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.