Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest me an amplifier that has digitally controlled gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasePointer

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
digital potentiometer circuits gain control

Hello,

I want to make 3 phases sine signal generator. I will use DDS from Analog Devices AD9833 for this. So I will be able to easily generate sine signals at frequency and phases that are desired. But also I should be able to adjust amplitudes of signals. So I'm looking for a amplifier that has digitally controled gain. It should be controlled with at least 8 bit. I'm waiting for your advices.

10x
BP

Re: Digital Gain Control

One method is to use the R-2R ladder network in the traditional DAC configuration with an op amp. Feed your sine wave as the input instead of the usual reference voltage.

Digital Gain Control

If you need a ADC finally. You can select a Delt-Sigma ADC with digitally controlled gain.

Digital Gain Control

[Option A]
Combine Operational Amplifier + 256-Step Digital Potentiometer

Dual-Polarity Amplifier is Controlled Digitally
**broken link removed**

[Option B]
Programmable Gain Amplifier

PGA2310 (Stereo Audio Volume Control, with 8-bit gain control through SPI interface)
https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pga2310.html

BasePointer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

nicleo said:
[Option A]

[Option B]
Programmable Gain Amplifier

PGA2310 (Stereo Audio Volume Control, with 8-bit gain control through SPI interface)
h**p://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pga2310.html

PGA2310 is really good. But Its out can only supply 35mA. I need about 10W with low harmonic distortion. My final sine signal should be as pure as possible.

P.S. : My frequency range is from 40Hz to 120Hz.

10x

BasePointer said:
PGA2310 is really good. But Its out can only supply 35mA. I need about 10W with low harmonic distortion. My final sine signal should be as pure as possible.

P.S. : My frequency range is from 40Hz to 120Hz.
We can add another high-current or high-power opamp, which configured as voltage follower, after the PGA2310. There are a few high-current opamp from Texas Instruments. For example:

OPA541
Power Supplies Up ±40V
Output Current Up to 10A

For low harmonic distortion, probably we should consider power audio amplifier. For example:
LM3886
High-Performance 68W Audio Power Amplifier
Output Current Up to 11.5A
exhibits extremely low THD+N values of 0.03%

Hope this will help. By the way, would you pls share what is the purpose of having such circuit?

BasePointer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

nicleo said:
LM3886
High-Performance 68W Audio Power Amplifier
Output Current Up to 11.5A
exhibits extremely low THD+N values of 0.03%

Hope this will help. By the way, would you pls share what is the purpose of having such circuit?

10x a lot Nicleo. I'm making a reference signal generator to calibrate our watt-hour meters. I will generate sensitive 3 phase voltage signals and their current signals then I will calibrate our energy meters by using it.

BasePointer said:
10x a lot Nicleo. I'm making a reference signal generator to calibrate our watt-hour meters. I will generate sensitive 3 phase voltage signals and their current signals then I will calibrate our energy meters by using it.
That's a good project. Do you DSP for your watt-hour meter? Or, you use those energy ICs from Analog Devices to construct your watt-hour meter?

nicleo said:
That's a good project. Do you DSP for your watt-hour meter? Or, you use those energy ICs from Analog Devices to construct your watt-hour meter?

We are using ADE7758 from Analog Devices for our 3 phase active/reactive energy meters.

Hello

To amplify the signal, I think TDA1552Q is a good choice, because it uses bridged amplifiers, so the signals to noise ratio is a lot smaller.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back