Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest me a snubber circuit for driving DC motor PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Quadir Choudhury

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Have a DC(pm type ) Motor 180V, Full Load Current ~ 3A (1 HP)
I was using a circuit with 555 generating square waves and PWM (modulated) to control speed. Was using IRF250N.
When driving a small motor was OK but when using as above the MOSFET was destroyed.
Can anybody suggest a snubber ckt for the above combination. No I dont know the inductance of the motor. May be some values with which i can begin experimenting

Re: Driving DC motor PWM

did you have a reverse diode across the motor ?

You mosfet is also quite close to your supply voltage with a max Vds of 200v, use a higher voltage mosfet.

Alex

yes, the diode got hot and burnt. I also forgot to mention that the 555 was producing Sq wave at 1.5k Hz, only PW was modulated. There was the question of what fast diode to usel

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 ----------

Thanks, I will see what is available here

One more question because it is not clear from your description, do you have a proper mosfet driver or do you feed the 555 output directly to the gate?
If you don't have a proper driver then the switching losses on the mosfet will be high (slow turn on/off) and this will increase the power consumption and heat on the mosfet.
In small loads you may get away with it but as the load voltage/current increases you will have problems.
Does your mosfet overheat?

Alex

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back