Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest me a cheap oscilloscope for digital and analog circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashkar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was searching for an cheap but accurate solution for my digital and analog circuit measurements,Some one try to guide me for the same.
I would love to go with tektronix dso but they are really vey costly.
would Rigol or Owon are good or should I opt for Agilent dso :roll:
and what should be the maximum frequency dso which I go for???:idea:

Re: Need an Oscilloscope

Pls search for RIGOL scope. That is much cheaper.

what frequency I should go for.

You determine what bandwidth you need. I have used two new generation 100MHz DSOs, one of them was Tektronix tds 1012C and the other LeCroy Waveace 112. I still use LeCroy Waveace 112 but I miss old CRT oscilloscopes. If you have chance to buy HP 54645A or HP 54602B, dont think anymore. These scopes are much better than former two scopes. CRT monitors make you feel the signal, LCDs try to plot some signal with its limited resolution and low speed.

Try looking on Ebay because there's bargains, if you're willing to go with a used item.

As a simple guideline: the more knobs a scope has, the more versatile it is.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I think that is an oversimplistic generalization. I would suggest looking at features and performance rather than counting knobs. My 4 channel 500MHz long memory oscilloscope has 3 knobs. I seem to remember Phillips made some quite decent oscilloscopes with no knobs.

Keith

Is that under "Knob Count Specification" in the scope's Technical Datasheet?

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

I guess based on that criteria, my HP 4 GSa/sec 1GHz Scope isn't up to par.

Is anyone in the market for a like new HP Scope with only one knob and half a dozen buttons?

Thank you. Okay, I should say the more knobs, switches, settings and options that it has, the more versatile the scope.

Mine is a Tektrronix RM 504 with crt. Rack mount. It's old and only goes up to about 2 mHz.

It's knobs and switches include:

12 positions for sensitivity, with fine adjust. Knob adjust position.

18 positions sweep rate, with fine adjust. Can respond to horizontal input only.

Vertical input, choose AC/ DC/ ground.

Adjustable trigger level, or set for free run.
Choose to trigger on positive or negative transition.
Choose AC or DC coupling.
Choose to trigger on source internal/ external/ line.
External trigger input.

Horizontal input. Adjust sensitivity. Adjust position.

-----------------------------------

Easy to bring trace into view.
Quick and easy level adjustments.
Easy to gauge frequency of signal.
Can do x-y comparisons (Lissajous figures, component curves, amp input vs. amp output)

All adjustments out in front and within easy reach. Shallow learning curve.

Useful traits in anyone's first oscilloscope.

Sorry, BradtheRad that comment was just too good to pass up!

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

...would Rigol or Owon are good or should I opt for Agilent dso and what should be the maximum frequency dso which I go for???

Well a HP/Agilent scope is not going to be any cheaper than a comparible Tektronix model. High Priced (HP) did not receive its nickname without merit.

I haven't heard any bad critiques concerning Rigol, I was concerning purchase one for my desktop. I not familiar with Owon so I have no input concerning them as yet.

Ah yes, weill, I can admit to a certain degree of oscilloscope envy.

I realize I would be better off with a newer model. I need to figure out whether to get a stand-alone type, or to save space by getting a computerized type.

Anyway lately I only use mine every few months.

If by:

... or to save space by getting a computerized type.

you are referring to a PC based USB scope, don't bother.

I own several PC-based instruments which I would rate my experience from very good to excellent, except one, the PC-based scope. It's total exercise in frustration. You need an extra set of hands, feet and toes to successfully handle the probe, type on the keyboard and move and click the mouse while trying to keep your eyes on the trace pattern which has just moved behind your compiler window. One of the powers of the scope is its spontaneity; if you don't like what you see at testpoint A, you trace the signal to testpoint B and see what the signal looks like. Well, that all goes out the window with a PC based scope.

I been more than happy with the other PC-based instrument, especially the logic analyzer. But, in my opinion the scope just doesn't lend itself to a PC interface. Buy another stand alone scope and you'll thank me later.

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

However, as I mention previously in this thread I do like those compact Rigols and may buy one just to keep on my desk for convenience.

So a lecroy would be a better option,Since I Would love to have a DSO instead of cro,What would you suggest.

I guess it all comes down to your budget. I never personally owned a LeCroy, however I have used them in various projects and they are very nice scopes. I believe they are priced comparable to Tektronix models. By the way, I wouldn't knock a nice analog scope, I have a couple of very nice DSOs, but I still use my Tektronix 2445A on a regular basis.

Hello!

I own several PC-based instruments which I would rate my experience from very good to excellent, except one, the PC-based scope.

I agree on this one and I already wrote about it on this site, I think. For the price of a good PC based scope, you
can buy a decent standalone scope. Somebody was talking about counting buttons, I am not sure these would
be realistic metrics, but I understand more or less what he wanted to say.
I have an old TDS 460 A (Tektro) and a newer MSO 3014. In the old one, there was only one scale / position
line of buttons for the 4 channels, and a push button to select the channel to setup. Apparently it was a mistake
because they made again separated controls on the MSO 3014 and I must say it is extremely user-friendly.

As for the PC scope, the top 2 problems are (this is my point of view only):
1. You have to do everything with the mouse;
2. When you program and want to see both scope and IDE at the same time, then you need a second display.

Dora.

for me the best tradeoff is a mixed analog digital scope.
hameg builds excellent one hm4xx series, or better 15xx series which you can find for a reasonable cost on ebay very often.
I have a fluke mixed scope, excellent for everything pm3394, but it's pricey for a hobby
you can find them for some $600-1000 but they are quite rare.

WHAT ABOUT THIS DSO **broken link removed**
WOULD IT BE A GOOD PRODUCT

Hello!

For that price, the risk is low.
Something you might be aware of:
1. The sampling rate is 500 Msamples/s which sounds quite limited for
a 100 MHz oscilloscope.
2. A 320 x 234 screen is small. Or pixels are big. Try to make a 320 x 234 pixel
picture with GIMP and display it on your PC at native resolution. Assuming your
monitor has a 0.25 mm pitch, this means a 80 x 58 mm.
3. A digital scope does not necessarily show you what you expect to see, which
may lead to headaches sometimes.

Now the good things: it has apparently (not sure, I can't read what's on the
picture) separated controls for its channels, and this is extremely user friendly.

Again, for that price, it's not a big risk, but you will likely have what you paid for.

Dora.

WHAT ABOUT THIS DSO **broken link removed**
WOULD IT BE A GOOD PRODUCT

so What are the other variants for around $500 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back