Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

substrate integraded wave guide what is the purpose of via

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundarmeenakshi

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
substrate integraded wave guide what is the purpose of via hole? even without via hole i am getting same respoinse.any one give detail about this.

Re: substrate integraded wave guide what is the purpose of v

Hi

Metalized via holes are playing the role of lateral side walls of a ractangular waveguide. You must have an error in your simulation.

Usual mistake when using HFSS is failure to set substrate interfaces to radiation boundaries so that top and bottom walls are not connected by vias only but are in addition automatically connected together through default perfect electric boundary on lateral substrate walls.

flyhigh

flyhigh said:
Hi

Metalized via holes are playing the role of lateral side walls of a ractangular waveguide. You must have an error in your simulation.

Usual mistake when using HFSS is failure to set substrate interfaces to radiation boundaries so that top and bottom walls are not connected by vias only but are in addition automatically connected together through default perfect electric boundary on lateral substrate walls.

flyhigh
in my simulation if holes are vaccum then i am geeting some result. if the holes are filled with gold then i am not getting any response.what is the problem. how to set substrate interfaces to radiation boundaries in HFFS. can you explain please

hello flyhihg, i am also simulating a surface integrated waveguide, i think im getting good results, but I got a little confused by what you said about setting interfaces to radiation boudaries,i got worried because i use an air box surrounding the structure and its boundary is set to radietion but i also use an perfect H symmetry plane in the middle of the guide.

Im i making that mistake you are saying?

pabloec said:
hello flyhihg, i am also simulating a surface integrated waveguide, i think im getting good results, but I got a little confused by what you said about setting interfaces to radiation boudaries,i got worried because i use an air box surrounding the structure and its boundary is set to radietion but i also use an perfect H symmetry plane in the middle of the guide.

Im i making that mistake you are saying?
hi did u got result afer filling via s with gold ?what is the mistake in my case do u have any idea?

i did not filled them with gold.

first i made an air box bigger than my substrate and on its faces i placed a radiation boundary, then I drew the guide inside, first as a box and assigned my susbtrate material(rogers) then drew the cilinders and substracted them from the box, then i placed a finite conductivity boundary condition on the upper and bottom sides of the dielectric box and also in the faces of the substracted cylinders.

Hi

pabloec,

I think you are OK with your structure.

sundarmeenakshi,

To assign radiation boundaries select a face and then

HFSS/Boundaries/Asign/Radiation

flyhigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com