Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Substitute required for PIC16f676 dip IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazer77mid

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,
I am new to SOC, Embedded systems and Microcontrollers.

I require cheaper alternative to PIC 16f676 Microcontroller.
My main task is to operate 3 colour of led. (2 blinking mode and one in steady)
only one operate at a time with use of a tact switch

Currently i have 16f676 program for this function but this ic is very expensive in my local market.

I hope you all will guide me or help me in process of microcontroller alternative finding. plz

Hi,

if these are all your requirements, then I guess almist every microcontroller can do the job,
In this case maybe it´s better for you to find a "cheap and available" microcontoller .. then find out t´whether it is suitable.
In this case: find microcontroller --> check if suitable
(Usually: decide requirements --> find suitable microcontroller)

As far as I can see you just need 4 I/Os. Thus a microcontroller with 6+ pins could work.
Sadly we don´t know which types of microcontroller are available for you and we don´t know their price... thus we can´t do this task for you.

Klaus

Hi,

if these are all your requirements, then I guess almist every microcontroller can do the job,
In this case maybe it´s better for you to find a "cheap and available" microcontoller .. then find out t´whether it is suitable.
In this case: find microcontroller --> check if suitable
(Usually: decide requirements --> find suitable microcontroller)

As far as I can see you just need 4 I/Os. Thus a microcontroller with 6+ pins could work.
Sadly we don´t know which types of microcontroller are available for you and we don´t know their price... thus we can´t do this task for you.

Klaus

Sir,
i use 3 seperate tact switch for operating 3 types of LED because i require only one LED blinking at a time.
i can buy any microcontroller but only i want cheapest pic microcontroller
i have hex file and .pbp program for my function for pic16f676
what changes to make in program for it to work on alternate IC?
please suggest

Last edited:

'Cheapest' is whatever you have in your local market, please remember that prices and availability are very different in other countries and Edaboard covers the whole World. For example: there are no local markets selling components within 100Km of me here so everything has to be mail ordered.

Tell us more of what your device does and we might be able to suggest alternative PIC or other MCUs. A schematic would be helpful, even if just a sketch.

Brian.

Hi,

without knowing what microcontroller you can buy (availablity, cost) .... nobody can tell what you have to modify.

You say you have a .HEX file. Does this mean you want a microcontroller "100% code compatible with 16f676"?
If you have to "adjust" to a non compatible microcontroller, the HEX file won´t help you much ... you may need the source code and a compiler.

I don´t recommend to modify the .HEX file unless you are very familiar with these things.

Klaus

'Cheapest' is whatever you have in your local market, please remember that prices and availability are very different in other countries and Edaboard covers the whole World. For example: there are no local markets selling components within 100Km of me here so everything has to be mail ordered.

Tell us more of what your device does and we might be able to suggest alternative PIC or other MCUs. A schematic would be helpful, even if just a sketch.

Brian.
Sir i buy from mouserelectronics.com, please use this as reference for cheapest.
Sir it is a torch that has 3 operating modes:
1)flashes red light from led operated by 1 tact switch
2)flashes green light from led operated by 1 tact switch
3)continuous white light (torch) operated by 1 tact switch
Only one operating mode is to be used at a time by pressing designated tact switch.
--- Updated ---

Hi,

without knowing what microcontroller you can buy (availablity, cost) .... nobody can tell what you have to modify.

You say you have a .HEX file. Does this mean you want a microcontroller "100% code compatible with 16f676"?
If you have to "adjust" to a non compatible microcontroller, the HEX file won´t help you much ... you may need the source code and a compiler.

I don´t recommend to modify the .HEX file unless you are very familiar with these things.

Klaus
yes the hex file is 100% compatible with existing microcontroller i.e 16f676
I do have source code as mentioned i have .pbp file for code..

12F508 is probably the cheapest but it isn't pin compatible and the software would need modification. It would do the job though and at half the cost of a 16F676.

Brian.
Sir,
I think i would need 3 i/p pin (3 tact switch to give input for each operation) and 3 o/p pin (for operating 3 different leds)
will pic12F508 will do the job?

//Also can you suggest some sources that can help me stud about microcontrollers pins and functions?

The data sheet is what I used to make the suggestion, plus some experience of using them in the past.
12F508 or 12F509 (same except 509 has more memory) has five pins that can be inputs or outputs and one which can only be an input so it has the six pins you need. It also has an internal clock and a timer to flash the LEDs if necessary.

Brian.

Dear All,
I am new to SOC, Embedded systems and Microcontrollers.

My main task is to operate 3 colour of led. (2 blinking mode and one in steady)
only one operate at a time with use of a tact switch

Currently i have 16f676 program for this function but this ic is very expensive in my local market.

I hope you all will guide me or help me in process of microcontroller alternative finding. plz
You must be more specific. From your description the design requires one Input (tact switch) and three Output pins for R,G,B LEDs. Is this correct? See PIC10(L)F320/322 price 0.8 Euro or PIC16LF15313-I/P or PIC16F15214-E/P Near 1.0 Euro (Mouser.com)

blazer77mid

A few years ago Dave Jones on the EEVBLOG posted a number of videos about using the very low cost controllers from Padauk.

Here are links to his videos:

EEVblog #1132 - The 3 Cent Microcontroller
EEVblog #1140 - 3 CENT Micro LED Blinky with ICE!
EEVblog #1141 - Padauk 3 CENT Micro - Programmer
EEVblog #1306 (1 of 5): 3 Cent Micro - Open Source Programmer
EEVblog #1306 (2 of 5): PCB SMD Hand Soldering & Assembly
EEVblog #1306 (3 of 5) : How to program an STM32 using DFU Bootloader
EEVblog #1306 (4 of 5): Open Source SDCC C Compiler
EEVblog #1306 (5 of 5): Spooky Action - Hardware Testing

These controllers are perhaps the cheapest available. I observed on one video that Dave mentioned using the 14-pin variant that cost at the time under ten cents each in small quantities. This type would have about the same number of GPIO pins as the Microchip PIC16F676.

The support from the chip maker seems poor so I suspect it may not be a useful solution for the Original Poster only familiar with the PIC Basic Pro compiler and Microchip tools.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.