Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Study for BSEE in USA/Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bsee in canada

Hello!

i think that it is not a problem for US or Canada citizen to get into any technical university and study electronics, then get BSEE after 4 years.

but for ppl from India,Pakistan,Vietnam,Thailand,Egypt, and also Azerbaijan it is quite difficult:D

first of all it costs alot, maybe around 18-22$K for one year:!:

it is also a lil bit problem to give SAT and ACT tests, also TOEFL. but that is not so hard. money issue is main problem.

but as u all know, many ppl are studying electronics at home (there are a lot of eBooks, online component stores, simulation programs, forums [thanks to eDaboard]), so it is possible to learn it urself, but it will take time, and it is much harder, cuz u dont have real time feedback, and contact with teachers...

so after one had learned something by himself at home, is there a reason to enter the university now and pay such big money for one year??? of cuz u can say yes, because then he will get BSEE diploma. but still i would like to see what u all guys from such countries think!

if anyone from countries mentioned below(or some other) has experience in entering university in US/Canada please reply to me, and say what u think!
[also i would like to know the way of how u could get accepted, and in which university exactly]

also i think that if one did selfstudy at home, even after the applying to university it will be much more easier for him to study there, isn't it?

or maybe u can advice some cheaper universities, but stil with good name or ABET accredited?

is there another way to get BSEE without paying for education process??

it is all so important to me, i thank u in advance for replies

(and please dont say me to look in web, i did it lots of times)

thanks all!

to study for my bsee

Well, paying for a college education for people in the US is also an issue. As far ask I know, the accredited universities all require more than 1 year on campus to get a BSEE, so your idea of coming here and studying for a year to get a BSEE is probably not going to work.

I think your biggest problem is going to be getting admitted to a US university as an undergraduate. Your best bet may be to target 2 or 3 universities and figure out how to get accepted and what sort of financial aid they offer. It might be better to target private universities with larger endowments instead of public universities (Think Stanford instead of UCBerkeley) since they have more money for grants.

I'm not sure about the undergraduate education where you are, but it might be easier to get a BSEE at home, and then get a graduate degree from a US university.

Dave

online scoolls that affor bsee

i don't know too much about universities outside us/canada, but i know more people who studied in their home country and came to canada for grad studies than people who came from overseas to do undergrad. if ur interested in doing masters then maybe you can consider that route. my friends say Sharif has an excellent program for electrical eng and many graduates go to do their masters/phd at top schools in US (i.e. stanford, ucb, ucla)

bsee canada

most of the foreign students i knew at university had loads of money! that's why they studied in north america, only the rich could afford it. to be poor and get an education in north america is tough.

you must look for financial assistance on the website of the schools you would like to apply to.

studying at home is OK but without the credentials nobody would hire you for a "good job" without the degree. you might get hired as a technician, but that's about it.

the single best thing you can do while at home is to learn to speak, write and read English PERFECTLY. being good at these 3 things will go farther to your success in north america (at university and on the job) than any pre-study of electronics.

Dean of the University told me this, and looking back on it all, i must agree.

Mr.Cool

top versities in the us that offer a bsee

I am also a student from Thailand in the USA...I agree on the money problem in the US from Thailand. My suggestion if money is you problems, you may try to get a BS from your country first. I came to the US for MS. and can get the graduate assistance in the first semester. However, if you come to US for the BS, you can get the internship on the last year. Anyway, the on campus job is another choice but you can work only 20 hours a week. I used to work at cafeteria on campus..... BTW, I understand what is you feeling. If you can get accept from the university in the US, you will have more chance to got the VISA...

Good luck.... :cry:

BlackOps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bsee in caneda

Mr.Cool said:
studying at home is OK but without the credentials nobody would hire you for a "good job" without the degree. you might get hired as a technician, but that's about it.

well yes, and another way is..i have a BSEE of Azerbaijan technical university, and will study modern BSEE program myself....but again problem is US companies know US universities but dont know Azeri university....so yes, get into MS also would be nice... it looks simple...but it is quite complicated for the guys from such country as mine...

bsee in usa

at my university (Ryerson, toronto canada) i know many international students from india,pakistan,china,iran,egypt in the undergrad and grad programs and most of them are brighter than the students who are native to canada. it is a smaller school and not as well known as the big canadian unviersites like utoronto, mcgill, ubc but the reputation is getting better.

in general you will probably find more success if you apply to smaller universities than to top tier schools. im not sure what the policy is in graduate programs, but for undergrad it is not that difficult to transfer between universities if you score well in your first year or first two years, it is supposed to be quite easy to do that in USA. to get into the grad programs at top schools you probably not only need to be best in your undergrad class, but maybe best in your country or surrounding counties.

as far as middle-east/central asia universities, the only ones i know are sharif (iran), ein shams (egypt), bogazici (turkey) which have strong reputation for engineering and known in usa/canada

best bsee program in us

he's being modest. ryerson has probably the best equipt power electronics lab in any university in canada. i don't know why ryerson's reputation is non-existent internationally, as they consistently graduate very competent engineers.

Mr.Cool

I still suggest you to get your BSEE from your country...I will tell you my story...I graduated BSEE from Thailand and worked in my country for a while. I found that a few in the graduate level in the US is an American student. Then, you will have a chance to get the job or graduate assistant easy if you have experience. All your competitions are the international student. I am working in the lab now with more than half of international students.

Keep going....

BlackOps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back