Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

strategy to find the setup/hold time values for a Flip-Flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajsach13

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello !!

I would like to understand better the Standard Cell characterization step for a classic Flip-Flop without any Testability neither inverted Output.
Let's say in 40nm CMOS.

How is the setup/hold time computed, I mean what is the strategy to get the setup/hold time values in the .lib files ?
Does everything start from an initial range of setup coming from the Techno team, let's say for example : setup inside [20ps:120ps] for a FF drive X1 ? And then, does the characterization step will end to write in the .lib, the setup value such as the Q output gets well the D data input, the D data input being closer and closer to the clock rising edge (and so reducing the setup value)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

R.

The second part is correct, the FF is simulate with analog model, and the D CK are stimulate to reach the limit of the behavior, then some marge is added.

The setup/hold time calculation can be referred to report_delay_calculation during Design Compiler.
Basically, the tool will refer to the timing table provided by .lib and calculate the result with input clock transition.

Thanks !! Actually, analyzing your returns, I would like to get some more info regarding the/my extract : "the setup value such as the Q output gets well the D data input". What is the criteria ?? If D=1 and Q gets the 1 it sounds that the Data waveform can be closer to the CLK rising edge, to define the accurate setup time. However, I think, there should be some delay point also. I mean, I have heard somewhat, something linked to a CP to Q time constraint.

So, I think, the Q output should, indeed gets the D data input value just after the CLK rising edge, but within a defined delay, right ??

Thanks to provide me some help !!

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back