Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange calculation of numbers in VHDL code

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am disassembling and studying processor bus code, and there are some strange things in a VHDL code.

For example, take a look at the following declaration:

signal Dreord: std_logic_vector(0 to C_DW*((C_NB+1)/2)*2-1);

C_DW and C_NB are generics of an entity, and their values are:
C_DW = 2
C_NB = 4

According to these generic values, the range of the Dreord signal should be:

2 * ( ((4 + 1)/2) * 2 - 1 ) = 8

So the range of the Dreord signal is 0 to 8. [magnitude is 9] However, according to the code, i see that it should be 0 to 7.

Also, when i simulate this code in ModelSim, it also says that the range is 0 to 7. So... why is this so? is there some thing to mention during the division calculation in VHDL code? i reviewed VHDL books but did not find anything special about it... however, i see that ModelSim counts it as 7, but actually it is 8...

Look at another piece of code:
CYMUX_FIRST: MUXCY
port map (CI=> zero,
DI=> one,
S=>lutout(i*(C_NB+1)/2),
O=>cyout(i*(C_NB+1)/2));

Here, when the variable i = 1, the expression in the brackets of cyout is: 1 * (4 + 1)/2 = 2.5 And it is also strange, why not integer number?...

cyout is declared as:
signal cyout: std_logic_vector(0 to (C_DW*(C_NB+1)/2)-1); [0 to 4]

so to which digit will the O output of the MUXCY element be assigned? cuz it is 2.5 :?:

2 * ( ((4 + 1)/2) * 2 - 1 ) = 8
No, the correct result is seven. Please consider that (4+1)/2 = 2 in integer arithmetics.

BlackOps

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There are only two of the "(" characters between * and C_NB.
The corrected grouping

2 * ((4 + 1)/2) * 2 - 1

evaluates to 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back