Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stored image in Bram or DDR2-SDRAM ; ML507

Status
Not open for further replies.

elionidas

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I would like to store my color image 640*480 pixels in a memory (BRAM or DDR2-SDRAM).
The block Ram is it sufficient to store the hole of my image, or I must created 3 BRAMs for the Red,Green and Blue values ?
If I use the DDR2 , I can use the XMD command :
dow -data image.jpg 0x<DDR starting address>" to download the file in the DDR starting address.
Is it correct if i use my jpg image as file to download to the DDR2 ?

With regards,

Hi elionids,

I am not sure which FPGA family that you are using ....But generaly BRAM is very small to store an image in many cases....as BRAM is used mostly for logic development and register decleration.... I will recommand you to put Image in DDR only.....

good luck

Just make the math yourself:
640 x 480 pixels, 8 bit per color (or more?), 3 colors

Thanks for your replay;

I don't use BRAM for storing my image and I need some help for the DDR.
By searching, I find these XMD commands:
1. Under EDK, start the EDK shell and type xmd.
2. In XMD type dow -data myfile.dat 0x<DDR starting address> to download the file in the DDR starting address.
3. If you want, verify that all data are written in DDR, by typing in XMD mrd 0x<DDR address> to check the data.
4. Download your design normally through EDK. If everything is ok, then your design will use the data that are already written in DDR.

I find some ambiguity in the step2 for the file to download to the DDR, I have to set directly the jpg image or a file that contain all the pixels values ?

Thinks,

Status
Not open for further replies.