Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STM32 minimum system board first steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

just got myself STM32F103C8T6 stm32.JPG off ebay, and would like to start with 32bit uC.

Because this is clone , I am little confused about it, I know that there are commercial begginer boards from ST but this
one seems cheap and valid just to start off.

What would be the best way to start and where with programming with them?
Anyone has any experience with this types of boards?

Thanks for helping out in advance.

You have to buy a ST LINK programmer

I've thought about it, and I've ordered also this one some ST Link v2.

**broken link removed**

But this board has some micro usb on it, I've plugged it in, but it wasn't reckognized as device known to system (eg. some serial port emulation).

You have to buy a ST LINK programmer

Not necessarily, there appears to be a SWD port on one end of the device, if so most ARM JTAG/SWD programmer/debuggers should work, the J-Link for example.

Also the eBay listing mentions the Arduino IDE, so the device maybe preloaded with an Arduino bootloader, but who knows?

I was unable to locate any documentation or schematic for the board.

@zip Do you have the schematic or documentation? If so, please upload it to the thread.

The device may also support USB-DFU or UART-ISP.

Update --

I did find this site, which may offer a link to the documentation, however my Chinese is a little rusty:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-9679183684.5.oHu7dn&id=22097803050

BigDog

Waveshare has nice STM32 boards. Check it out.

You can use it as a host

Example HID

Discovery board are very popular and very reliable

Not necessarily, there appears to be a SWD port on one end of the device, if so most ARM JTAG/SWD programmer/debuggers should work, the J-Link for example.

Also the eBay listing mentions the Arduino IDE, so the device maybe preloaded with an Arduino bootloader, but who knows?

I was unable to locate any documentation or schematic for the board.

@zip Do you have the schematic or documentation? If so, please upload it to the thread.

The device may also support USB-DFS or UART-ISP.

Update --

I did find this site, which may offer a link to the documentation, however my Chinese is a little rusty:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-9679183684.5.oHu7dn&id=22097803050

BigDog

Nope I didn't. But I've contacted seller to provide any info on it (doc/soft/drv), whatever I get I will upload here so it stays for others.
Learning curve is little bit steep comparing to Arduino ( even other ATMEGAs) :(

I think you don't need any programmer for it. If you put berg connector on the both sides you will be able to access the programming port of it. Share if you have any user manual of the product. Nothing is possible just by looking through the image.

In general are there any commercial tools with GCC for example that are officially used for development.
Also abstraction libs and other code that would be useful for beginners.
It seems that site is pretty crude (ST official web page) and that there is lot less then rest of uC market is putting online.

You may want to consider purchasing one of ST's Discovery line of development boards, the range from $10 to $25 and include an onboard JTAG/SWD programmer/debugger and are well supported with documentation and code examples.

STM32 MCU Discovery Kits

If it really ends with no solution I will do it, It seemd that for this super basic minimal dev system boards it doesn't get too complicated.
Just core processor with few lines and that's it, for now it doesn't looks like that :(

- - - Updated - - -

Ok people,

this is from someone who got something on it,

http://www.rogerclark.net/author/roger/

It seems this is some Maple clone, looks like knockoff similar to what they are doing to Arduino Nano and simillar boards.

It seems you will need to configure those boot jumpers to support USB-DFU or UART-ISP as detailed in the following appnote:

Getting started with STM32F10xxx hardware development

According to the above document, the BOOT0, BOOT1 jumpers must be configured as 0, 1 to enable the embedded bootloader located in system memory.

STM32 microcontroller system memory boot mode

Of course once you receive the ST-Link, you should be able program and debug directly from the flash memory of the device, alleviating the need for using the bootloader.

BigDog

As I promised, as soon as I get any info I will upload it.
So hope all of you brushed up your chinese :)

Attachments

• [010599]STM32F103C8T6最小系统板.rar
    2.7 MB · Views: 42

Finally I got myself ST-LINK programmer (V2 made in china clone :) ....what should be good selection of software stack to use for programming?

I saw CooCox development enviroment made in Eclipse, what do you use people?

I primarily use KEIL's MDK-ARM of which I have a license, although they do offer a free version which has a code size limit.

KEIL Microcontroller Development Kit (MDK) Version 5

The code size limitation of the free version is quite generous and more than apple for most projects, it also supports most JTAG/SWD programmer/debuggers, including the ST-Link v2.

Did you attempt to use the STM ROM bootloader before receiving your ST-Link v2?

If so, what were the results?

BigDog

Nothing happened. I tried all possible solutions for jumper settings and nothing. Only thing that works is blinking of one led , that's it.

I am comming from AVR so it's little bit strange for me, module has 8 MHz crystal on it, is that possible working frequency of it, because datasheet says that this M3 works on 72, and if it is should it be simple to resolder 72 MHz crystal on it?

I am concerned about it becausu of programming speeds, does it affect it?

Anyway big thanks for helping out!:thumbsup:

Well if you can blink an LED, then the issue is certainly not the method of programming the device.

Post your code, using either CODE or SYNTAX tags and let us examine it.

Status
Not open for further replies.