Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STM32 Dev Board Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksydney

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm new into embedded development but I've done PC programming for quite sometime (Java), I have some questions regarding development board and I found few that I'm interested (just to give you an idea of the kind of dev board I'm after here are 2 examples - **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**), my question is after creating an app how do I go about 'uploading' the program into the dev board ? besides hardware what software tool can I use to 'flash' the program into the dev board ?

Thanks for the help. :p

Cheers

my question is after creating an app how do I go about 'uploading' the program into the dev board ? besides hardware what software tool can I use to 'flash' the program into the dev board ?

If you read the dev board descriptions you'll notice there is a 20-pin JTAG Debugging Port. There are several JTAG programmer/deguggers available on the market which can program the STM32 devices flash with your compiled application as well as debug the code via this port.

The two most common are Segger's JLINK and Keil's ULINK2:

ARM/Cortex Debug Probe, and Renesas RX Debug Probe. Includes a USB cable, and a 20-pin, 0.1" JTAG/SWD ribbon cable for ARM/Cortex devices.

Segger ARM, Renesas RX Debug Probe (J-Link™)

Be sure and checkout Segger's JLINK Educational Program, it's one of the best deals available:

Segger's J-Link EDU (8.08.90) - Educational Program

The Keil ULINK2 Debug Adapter connects your PC's USB port to your target system (via JTAG, SWD, or OCDS) and allows you to program and debug embedded programs on target hardware.

Hope the info helps,

BigDog

Reactions: gafsos

gafsos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

So this means that I will need a JLink unit and a software to do this. There is one thing that I'm confused what is the difference between SEGGER in this one **broken link removed** and the one that you suggested J-Link (Debug Probe) ? from what I can see the difference is in the software is this right ?

Are there any free open source 'flasher' program that can be used with SEGGER ?

Thanks

Hello!

If STM32 is not an absolute requirement, you may consider buying a Stellaris board
(or another maker that provides on-board debug tools).
In this case, there is an on-board emulation tool, you just need an USB cable.
I just bought one for about 60 USD with a tiny OLED display (I have started a project
requiring ethernet so the display is not important). But there are boards with bigger
displays.

Dora.

So this means that I will need a JLink unit and a software to do this.

You need a JTAG programmer/debugger which support the STM32 ARM family.

There is one thing that I'm confused what is the difference between SEGGER in this one **broken link removed** and the one that you suggested J-Link (Debug Probe) ? from what I can see the difference is in the software is this right ?

The first link you posted is for a pirated design/clone unit. I can tell you with certainty it was not produced by Segger, whether it works or not with Segger's software and drivers is another issue. If you are strictly academic/noncommercial I would opt for the Segger JLINK Educational Program, it's the same unit as the commercial version and at $60 it's fantastic deal. It also uses the same drivers and software applications as the commercial version. I have three fully licensed commercial Segger JLINKs and they work great, I also have one Keil ULINK2 which works well, but I prefer the Segger Gear.

Are there any free open source 'flasher' program that can be used with SEGGER ?

Possibly, of course you then have to deal with driver and software compatibility issues, not to mention support. I would still recommend the Segger JLINK $60 Educational Program, it supports every ARM family I've come across in a legacy or new design.

As Dora mentioned some dev boards have builtin USB JTAG programmer/debuggers, most are illegal clones of the JLINK or ULINK2. They may perform correctly, however if you move onto a different dev board or ARM family you may still need a separate JTAG programmer/debugger.

BigDog

@doraemon @bigdogguru

Thank you for your explanation. I'm able to understand better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.