Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepping Motors. What size is good to replace a RC Servo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedweed

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. Recently we made some VoIP kiosks for my client and he wanted the wire attached to the handset retract back into the kiosk every time someone finishes using it. I made a mechanism which is basically a RC servo modded for continuous rotation & controlled by a PIC. The whole thing works well except for the noise. You know how loud servos can be.
I am now thinking of using steppers instead but have no idea if the smaller ones (like those found in DVD rom drives that spins the disc) are strong enough to wind the cable (basically a headphones cable). I have never worked with steppers before and will greatly appreciate any pointers and inputs. Thanks! :)

the smaller ones (like those found in DVD rom drives that spins the disc) are strong enough to wind the cable (basically a headphones cable).

No, you have to find some bigger one

thanks. u r right. just realized that they are brushless motors instead of steppers. the only stepper inside is the one that moves the laser head up n down but think it's definitely too weak for my intended purpose. guess i'll have to look for bigger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back