Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepping down a battery voltage from 16V to 14V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbox314

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to get a 4 cell Lithium battery pack to work with a 12 volt inverter. The inverter I am using has a maximum voltage of 15 volts and a minimum voltage of 11volts. The battery that I am using to power the inverters has a nominal voltage of 14.7 volts and a voltage of 16.5 volts when fully charged.

What kind of options do I have for getting the inverter to work with the battery voltage?

The inverter will output 120 volts and 1 amp so the inverter will be drawing about 10 amps from the battery.

How can I drop the battery voltage down by a volt or two so it will be within the voltage range accepted by the inverter?

Thank you,

One easy way is to install a diode or two in series. That should allow the inverter to operate.

Then, there is a chance that by drawing 10A from the battery pack, this will drop its voltage sufficiently, so that you can bypass the diode.

Well I did that and It worked! Hurray! I used two big 35 amp diodes and the battery voltage came down enough to run the inverter. From what I calculated the diodes are going to disapate about 2 watts of power at full load which is kind of a bummer.
Is there a way to bypass the Diodes when the battery voltage drops below 14 volts to make it run more efficently? I was thinking about using mosfet as s switch in parallel to bypass the diodes and some kind of compairator like an opamp or a attiny85. Does that seem like somthing that would work?

Is there a way to bypass the Diodes when the battery voltage drops below 14 volts to make it run more efficently? I was thinking about using mosfet as s switch in parallel to bypass the diodes and some kind of compairator like an opamp or a attiny85. Does that seem like somthing that would work?

You can use an op-amp as a comparator or a specialized IC [an comparator] which ends up driving a mosfet or relay.
Or place a resistor and zener across the input, and use the [lack of] voltage across the resistor to finally drive a relay or mosfet.

Consider installing a physical switch across the diodes, so that it bypasses them altogether when you flip it.

I was thinking about using mosfet as s switch in parallel to bypass the diodes

It is true this can be done with a mosfet. Once you think about doing this, you might as well bias the mosfet in a two stage process on powerup. (In this way you will no longer have need for the diodes.)

(1) Bias the mosfet a little, so that it provides a few ohms of resistance, thus dropping a couple of volts for the first five seconds,

then...

(2) Bias the mosfet a lot, so it turns full on, providing very low resistance, thus maximizing efficiency.

This two-stage startup up can be performed automatically, with a few components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back