Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor with microstepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

banh

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ee05005.pdf

when microstepping a stepper motor, must the stepper motor a special type (i.e. supporting microstepping?), or we can microstep any step motor?

step cheap stepper

Any stepper motor can be microstepped, since that only depends on the driver, not on the motor. Microstepping really means shaping the currents through the motor windings. That does not depend on the motor, but on the driver, so if the driver can do that, you are microstepping.

banh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It looks like VVV described microstepping in just a few words, if you need to learn more on microstepping, here is an interesting article:
"Microstepping"
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

banh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i found stepper motors - some are "2-phase", some are "1-phase". What does phase mean? is it the number of stator coils?

Added after 43 minutes:

now, i intend to drive a stepper motor directly from my MCU pin (microstepping from PWM output pins).
Current rating for the pin maximum is 10mA.
Is there any such cheap stepper with very low current rating? actually the load for the stepper is just a needle attached- can be considered as almost no load..

In the terminology of stepper motors coil <=> phase ..
Each independently controllable coil, even if it is wound on multiple pole pieces, represents a single phase. While two-phase motors are the simplest and most common, it is possible to purchase 3, 4, 5 and more phase stepper motors as well ..
A commonly used scheme for stepping is to energize both stator coils and to reverse the current in alternate coils with each successive step. This results in a four step sequence. Reversing the sequence reverses the direction of rotation. This is called a full step mode with two phases on ..
It is also possible to step the rotor with the same angular increment by energizing only one phase each step ..

As far as you application is concerned, have a look at this:
"WITH an excellent power to volume ratio, 6mm outer diameter, 9.3mm length, and weighing only 1.4 grams, the new ADM 0620 ... is claimed as the smallest, produced in series, two-phase stepper motor in the world."

**broken link removed**
https://www.faulhaber-group.com/sprache2/n129945/n.htm

Regards,
IanP

IanP said:
As far as you application is concerned, have a look at this:
"WITH an excellent power to volume ratio, 6mm outer diameter, 9.3mm length, and weighing only 1.4 grams, the new ADM 0620 ... is claimed as the smallest, produced in series, two-phase stepper motor in the world."

h**p://www.ferret.com.au/articles/4c/0c01914c.asp
h**p://www.faulhaber-group.com/sprache2/n129945/n.htm

Regards,
IanP

thanks IanP,

i'll take a look.
btw, it seems the 2nd link is dead..

when microstepping a stepper motor, must the stepper motor a special type, or we can microstep any step motor?
You should apply Microcontroller.

i need to do microstepping motor controller using CAN(Control area network) as my final year project..may somebody help me?how to do microstepping motor driver?can i use all type of stepper motor to become microstepping motor?thank u..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back