Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor selection for a particular load on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends ,

Please suggest how to select which stepper motor will suit to our requirement based on a particular weight it can carry at a certain distance from it.

for example if my stepper motor is connected to an aluminium disc of 1kg ,30cm in diameter at a distance of 3 inches.

then how do i select about which stepper motor will suit me,the motor should not miss steps and has to run at 25 steps per second.

Please suggest me how to proceed.
Jitender singh

Hi. This is an interresting problem.

Hovewer I don't think you'll find any particular stepper required for a particular load. Reason for this is that maximum load for any stepper is depended on the current you feed to it.

The more current you feed to a stepper, the more load it's capable to handle.

can anybody suggest me that if a stepper motor specifications says:

dc 3.25 amp , then does it mean 3.25 ampere /phase?

How much current the motor would require when it is running in free mode without load on it.

Also suggest me which driver would best meet this specification.
1.I am thinking of l297/l298 combination for this.
2. mosfet based is also an option.

The motor is sanyo-denki 1.8 deg ,dc 3.25 amp.model:103h7124-1041.

Hello,
I have the same problem.... What u did with urs? Physically our problem is how to move this directly coupled inertia??
I used those attachments

thnx

hello friends ,

Please suggest how to select which stepper motor will suit to our requirement based on a particular weight it can carry at a certain distance from it.

for example if my stepper motor is connected to an aluminium disc of 1kg ,30cm in diameter at a distance of 3 inches.

then how do i select about which stepper motor will suit me,the motor should not miss steps and has to run at 25 steps per second.

Please suggest me how to proceed.
Jitender singh

Attachments

• ctlg_geared_e_9.pdf
    137 KB · Views: 122
  • motion_control2.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 133
veiledcavalier
More than a year is past. He has most probably worked it out during that time.

I would like to propose an explanation to OP, but I'm familiar only with metric values.

Another problem that arives is how much current and voltage there is avaiable for use.

veiledcavalier
More than a year is past. He has most probably worked it out during that time.

I would like to propose an explanation to OP, but I'm familiar only with metric values.

Another problem that arives is how much current and voltage there is avaiable for use.

That's why I wanted to know what he did !!
Sorry wht's "OP"???
Metric values OK
PLZ elaborate.
thnx

OP is the guy that started the thread. At least what I've learned from various forums.

I have the same problem.... What u did with urs? Physically our problem is how to move this directly coupled inertia??
I used those attachments

I don't understand what's your particular problem. The papers are calculating some relations of drives, but to know the available torque versus speed characteristic, you have to refer to your motor specification. Or you calculate the required motor specification and tray to find a suitable one. Rather straightforward.

I don't understand what's your particular problem. The papers are calculating some relations of drives, but to know the available torque versus speed characteristic, you have to refer to your motor specification. Or you calculate the required motor specification and tray to find a suitable one. Rather straightforward.

Thanks FvM for your positive response.
Actually my problem is that for the directly coupled or Flywheel application I don't physically understand how to get the required torque that makes the load run, and so I can choose my motor. I know there is a formula in paper but it is vague for me.
Another thing is that for the stepper motor if I have the KW required from the motor, does it equals the VxI because I don't have any motor specs available. If I know the general KW equation for the stepper it will be good.

Thanks in advance

I know there is a formula in paper but it is vague for me.
A physics text book should help.
Another thing is that for the stepper motor if I have the KW required from the motor, does it equals the VxI because I don't have any motor specs available. If I know the general KW equation for the stepper it will be good.
There isn't such a thing. I see two options:
- get the specification
- forgot about specifications and formulae, just try

Hello guys,
i'm trying to know how to make the electornic circuit for the control of a stepper motor......i knew that a ULN2003 is limited to 0.5 A ......but my motor is about 3 A.....so i don't know what circuit should be used or designed.....anyone can help.........there are drivers available out there i know but they are very expensive......so i want some other solutions that can be made
finally i'm in my graduating this month and i need this in my graduation project......i'm a mechanical engineer so i don't have much knowledge in this field....so any replies should be quite illustrative....thx in advance

i knew that a ULN2003 is limited to 0.5 A ......but my motor is about 3 A
A motor with 3A current rating will me most likely a bipolar type and require constant current drive, perferably by a PWM stepper driver. There have been various threads at edaborad discussing step motor driver circuits.

Dears, As I read the whole thread and find out that you want to drive a 1 KG weight flying wheel using stepper motor. As I studied mechatronics a bit I purposed the following solution if it can help.

1. You definitely need the technical spec of the motor you already have and its controller board. Controlling a motor is a separate topic. so you are able to interface the motor with controller witch drive it as per your instructions.

2. For load handling I suggest you to use a simple gearbox which use small torque to rotate the flying wheel.

3. Now there is mathematic involves. You need to find out how many forward steps drives or change in the angle of flying wheel. You might easily find out this ration from the gearbox manual or you need to do it by yourself "not a big deal".

I hope this indirect approach helps as it works for me. :oops:

A motor with 3A current rating will me most likely a bipolar type and require constant current drive, perferably by a PWM stepper driver. There have been various threads at edaborad discussing step motor driver circuits.

Thank you i will look for that

Hello guys,
i'm trying to know how to make the electornic circuit for the control of a stepper motor......i knew that a ULN2003 is limited to 0.5 A ......but my motor is about 3 A.....so i don't know what circuit should be used or designed.....anyone can help.........there are drivers available out there i know but they are very expensive......so i want some other solutions that can be made
finally i'm in my graduating this month and i need this in my graduation project......i'm a mechanical engineer so i don't have much knowledge in this field....so any replies should be quite illustrative....thx in advance

For u, I think u need to search the forum a little more. I found very useful information here.
But as a start u can use the attached pdf, and start with L298 driver for bipolar 2A and TIP 122 half bridge for unipolar.
u can find details about wht I said and attached in the forum.

I forgot to tell u that u can use ULN2003 for higher than 0.5A by shorting terminals together as ur Ampere requires.

Attachments

• Stepper_1.pdf
    189.8 KB · Views: 110
  • stepper_bd___sch_8341.jpg
    stepper_bd___sch_8341.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 131
  • stepper_3197.gif
    stepper_3197.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.