Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjosoviaj

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor camera rotation

hi friends,

i'm currently doing a project on a security camera mounted on a stepper motor which is controlled by a microcontroller which tracks motion in front of it (by rotating the motor in d direction of motion) and captures images which are sent to the PC which sends an email with the image as an attachment along with an SMS alert to the security supervisor.

but when we enquired we were told that rotating stepper motor is difficult and so on.
can anyone help me with this stuff ?also i neede to know what kind of stepper motor i can use for this purpose...

thanks

how to sense rotation in stepper

what kind of a stepper moptor can i use for the purpose?? n also how much current will it need??

rotating stepper motor

anjosoviaj said:
what kind of a stepper moptor can i use for the purpose?? n also how much current will it need??

'by rotating the motor in d direction of motion'~ wht is the speed of the moving body? or more specific,what kind of motion cam will sense?

stepper motor rotate

anjosoviaj said:

That depends on how large / heavy the camera is. They are usually rated by torque so figure out the load then get a stepper that can move it.

check this out
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

uses hobby servo, but stepper would probably easier to control.
I'm not sure but I remember he had the algorithm for color tracking posted.

..just trying to help.

Nahian said:
anjosoviaj said:

'by rotating the motor in d direction of motion'~ wht is the speed of the moving body? or more specific,what kind of motion cam will sense?

actually it is a security cam which tracks the burglars..we jus intend to rotate the camera in the direction of motion, which can be sensed by image processing(in VB)..we know it is difficult to rotate it in the velocity of motion..so we want to do it for any small slow motion...

anjosoviaj said:
Nahian said:
anjosoviaj said:

actually it is a security cam which tracks the burglars..we jus intend to rotate the camera in the direction of motion, which can be sensed by image processing(in VB)..we know it is difficult to rotate it in the velocity of motion..so we want to do it for any small slow motion...

so its depends on cam weight totally. stepper whose carry ur cam is enuff for u.

anjosoviaj

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi there,

I know this is an old cliche but just google "Stepper Motor" and you will get thousands of replies. Stepper Motor control is not as difficult as it seems, there are hundreds of kits out there which will do it for you.

I suppose your biggest problem will be to get the signal to the camera. I know of companies that interpolates the stepper signals with the video stream to not have extra cabling around.

Regards

Nic

Stepper motors are the easiest way to rotate but not to track if there are jump changes in tracking speed.

I think in this case u don't necessarily have to use a stepper motto.

how can i rotate the camera without using a stepper motor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back