Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor Grounding required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhav.k

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor ground

Hi friends

I have one ambiguity regarding grounding.
I have system in which power supply and CPU board is there.In CPU board there is stepper motor driver and display and other circuit is there.Supply for stepper motor is different from controller.
I had not merged Stepper motor driver ground to any ground on CPU.Stepper motor ground in grounded on Power supply board through inductor.
Is it correct or some different approch i should take
Please give me suggestion with some reference documents .

Thanks in advance
Vaibhav

Stepper Moror Grounding

If the driver section and the motor is using a separate supply and the both sections are separated by Opto's grounding both boards is not required.

vaibhav.k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Stepper Moror Grounding

No
here both sections are not isolated by Optos
Its basically driven by L298

Stepper Moror Grounding

If the power supply of the digital part is different from the power supply of the motor and you are not using optos, then you have to connect both grounds together. The best place to connect it's a the stepper motor ground point. Try to avoid grounding loops and take care of the high current paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back