Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor doesn't have a brand or model number!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm beginning to (want to) get lost.

You ask about a FOUR-WIRE generic (bipolar?) stepper motor, then insist on breadboard photos of a six-wire motor (Why? e.g. ...My left hand hurts, so here's a photo of my right hand. Please diagnose my injury.) and using methods related to a SIX-WIRE motor with CONTROL WIRES. CHEAP BIPOLAR STEPPERS only have wires for the two coils and clearly won't work the same way. What's so hard to absorb about six not being the same as four? Would it make any sense trying to drive a 2-input NAND gate the same as a 3-input AND gate and expect the same output for presumably the same input combinations?

If you haven't already, which I guess you have..., try 5V for everything and driving the wires via the LM293 and using e.g. pushbuttons to experimentally control the sequence to find what works and what doesn't. Slow-motion manual troubleshooting may help more than wiring it all up with inappropriate code.

A 5V bipolar 4-wire stepper motor I have is weak, it's really a "toy", I can move the shaft when it isn't connected, too, and probably when it's connected.

Have you measured the current going into the motor coils when it gets very hot? That would tell you a lot about what's happening there. The one I have is: 5V, 125mA, 40R in case that helps as a rough guide to work up or down from and see if the heat lessens.

In the end, I didn't understand. Has it got two coils that can be clearly identified by two approximately equal resistance values, or not, and if not, what seems connected to what internally?

Failing any other solutions - when it gets hot, spray it with iced water. Just kidding ;).

Hi,

I'm beginning to (want to) get lost.

You ask about a FOUR-WIRE generic (bipolar?) stepper motor, then insist on breadboard photos of a six-wire motor (Why? e.g. ...My left hand hurts, so here's a photo of my right hand. Please diagnose my injury.)
I'm sorry you're right ! I know I changed the route of the topic. I first posted the thread about a cheap 4 wires stepper motor then moved to another 5-wires one.

I thought that may produce some confusion, but I added the 5-wires because I wanted to add a prove that there's something cheap about the first one I posted the thread about.

and using methods related to a SIX-WIRE motor with CONTROL WIRES. CHEAP BIPOLAR STEPPERS only have wires for the two coils and clearly won't work the same way. What's so hard to absorb about six not being the same as four? Would it make any sense trying to drive a 2-input NAND gate the same as a 3-input AND gate and expect the same output for presumably the same input combinations?

The main problem I faced with first 4-wires stepper motor is that it didn't have a datasheet, but I run it with a normal stepper motor code along with the L293D but the shaft was internally loose and not stiff so that's why I didn't consider it as a reliable stepper motor and not suitable to implement in a project.

If you haven't already, which I guess you have..., try 5V for everything and driving the wires via the LM293 and using e.g. pushbuttons to experimentally control the sequence to find what works and what doesn't. Slow-motion manual troubleshooting may help more than wiring it all up with inappropriate code.

That what I did first drove the first stepper motor with 5V, then the second one, it actually has a datasheet so I learned that it work with 12V but it got VERY hot and I had to lower the voltage and keep it running smooth at the same time.

A 5V bipolar 4-wire stepper motor I have is weak, it's really a "toy", I can move the shaft when it isn't connected, too, and probably when it's connected.
Yep that is like the one I have.

Have you measured the current going into the motor coils when it gets very hot? That would tell you a lot about what's happening there. The one I have is: 5V, 125mA, 40R in case that helps as a rough guide to work up or down from and see if the heat lessens.

OK thanks for the hint, but in this case I have two stepper motors.

The story is that the first one which is not a good one and has a loose shaft, that we have punch one it in the lab. The second one which has 5 wires runs upto 12V is much better.

In the end, I didn't understand. Has it got two coils that can be clearly identified by two approximately equal resistance values, or not, and if not, what seems connected to what internally?

Failing any other solutions - when it gets hot, spray it with iced water. Just kidding ;).
OK I have to check it next time. The problem is that these stepper motors I've found in the lab and I didn't actually tell the department to buy them.

But if the department asked me for a suggestion for a reasonable stepper motors then my simple answer would be the 28BYJ that's a nice one. Then I would try and search for more advanced powerful stepper motors.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back