Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

smruti007

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i m in my final year BE & planed to do a project on AUTOMATIC PATH FINDER.
Thats purely based on stepper motor control.
I m confused wheather should i iuse PIC or ATMEL microcontroller & why.
Please help me...............i have vewrry short time to decide

mail me @ smruti007@gmail.com

as a beginner its better to use atmel . There might be a little difference in both the microcontroller for stepper motor program. In pic u have to configure the ports as output but in atmel no need of that.

Added after 28 seconds:

as a beginner its better to use atmel . There might be a little difference in both the microcontroller for stepper motor program. In pic u have to configure the ports as output but in atmel no need of that.

Well I am in final BE semester too. Just completing my project that was related to Displays.

But let me tell you one thing from my experience in robotics that you should use DC servomotors from Hitec and PIC controllers. Two reasons for that are servos require only one PWM signal for precise control compared to stepper motors requiring 4 signals. Another thing is PIC controllers share same popularity as Atmels 8051 does & are easy to learn. As such you can use any of them but mostly people in USA and Europe (hobbyist) use PIC and there are lot of sites providing free support for them even UK's top electronic magazine Every Day Practical Electronics publishes their top projects related to PIC.

I also advise you to visit site www.imagesco.com for various stuffs related to servos and robotics.

If you refer to 2 books from that site titled PIC microcontroller project book & PIC Robotics written by John Iovine then it will be enough to make a project like you plan.

Related stuff is readily available from that site online as well.

BTW John Iovine is a popular author for robotics and regularly writes in Popular Mechanics magazines. He is a good friend of mine, thats why I know so much about it.

Take a look.

I would use a Picaxe. It has a bootstrap basic interpreter and it uses the Pic chip.

Fully functional with PWM, etc. Cheap as dirt and you can learn the code in a few hours. Not going to be the case with the Pic and assembler.

The Picaxe also has a free editor program and you use it to write, simulate your code plus program your chips. Hard to beat.

aandavan,
what do you mean by little difference??? u mean the code or the logic? and u said u need not configure the ports in atmel as in pic..
will atmel listen to your intentions ??
or your commands?

smruti007 said:
i m in my final year BE & planed to do a project on AUTOMATIC PATH FINDER.
Thats purely based on stepper motor control.
I m confused wheather should i iuse PIC or ATMEL microcontroller & why.
Please help me...............i have vewrry short time to decide

mail me @ smruti007(at)gmail.com

you can use both . I would not discuss what is better and start religious war.
On both microchip and atmel sites you can find useful info (application notes) to work with steppers.

cameo_2007,
i am mentioning the direction register availbale in PIC, in 8051 u don't have such a direction register.

bigaussie said:
Well I am in final BE semester too. Just completing my project that was related to Displays.

Take a look.

Good post bigaussie. Just want to mention also that the dc servos are cheap, less than $10 and can be modified for 360° rotation... :D

Assalamo Allykum !

You can use both.

But the PIC Microcontrollers have extra features that will help you in other applications of your project.

Allah Hafiz

Hi...

What microcontroller to use is really based on your personal preference. I personally like to use microcontrollers from atmel. So here's a nice site that gives you some insight into what to expect. www.8052.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back