Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor connected to Matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

akoangsimula

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys..

i have a problem regarding connecting the bipolar stepper motor in matlab..
can you teach me on how to do the algorithm?

should i use microcontroller for this?

Use Inpout32.dll (url **broken link removed**) in Matlab

i hope you are using parallel port to control the stepper motor..
the schematic given given in the link has 4 connections going from PIC to L298 you can use the data pins of parallel port instead of PIC..

i hope you are using parallel port to control the stepper motor..
the schematic given given in the link has 4 connections going from PIC to L298 you can use the data pins of parallel port instead of PIC..

were are not using a parallel port,instead we are using a 4bit shift register

I didn't understand what are you using
how do you control the shift register..?
can you give the details of it..?

I didn't understand what are you using
how do you control the shift register..?
can you give the details of it..?

the connection i have is the bipolar stepper motor to L298..and my professor to use a 4bit shift register converter, so that i can control the bipolar stepper motor using matlab....but my problem is the connection of the 4 bit shift register

there need to be a communication between PC and shift register how will you do that...?
I mean how will you control the shift register through PC via serial port, parallel Port, USB etc....

Well,

I have never used a stepper motor like this...
Using serial RS232 doesn't seems to be a good idea as it sends data serially 8 byte data plus start and stop bits and it will be tricky to handle with shift register....
also with shift register data shift serially so motor will behave unexpectedly during data transitions until final data reaches...
it is advisable either you use Parallel port or a micro controller...

Well,

I have never used a stepper motor like this...
Using serial RS232 doesn't seems to be a good idea as it sends data serially 8 byte data plus start and stop bits and it will be tricky to handle with shift register....
also with shift register data shift serially so motor will behave unexpectedly during data transitions until final data reaches...
it is advisable either you use Parallel port or a micro controller...

but our 4 bit shift register is a serial to parallel converter..

giving data serially and giving data in RS-232 format is different...
Eg in RS-232 if you send 1 ASCII then 49 will be transmitted along with start and stop bits...

for shift register on the rising edge of clock pulse the data present on the D pin will be transfered to Q0, then on the next pulse again data present on D will be transfered to Q0 while the previous Q0 value will be shifted to Q1 and so on...
so you need either a high or low level on D pin...
while in RS232 when you send a single character it is send like
Start bit --> 8 bit character data --> Stop bit
read about RS-232....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back