Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepdown transformer problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djjoni2

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys. I have a surround system that used a stepdown transformer at 13,5v 5a. I used it to charge a cordless drill battery (i've done it before). So a component on the battery charger blew and it shorted the traf. I checked the resistance on the primary winding and it gave me no reading no ohms no nothing. And the 2nd winding gave me 1Ω which is normal. Problem for me is the specific voltage of 13,5v i cant find any traf with that characteristic. But i found one at 12v 5a will that work?

There should be no problem to replace but if voltage is lower, also then the wattage will be lower too…

By the way, the old transformer may have an internal thermal fuse and the suspect part may be this thermal fuse embedded in the transformer. Study the primary terminations coming out from the internals of the transformer and you may notice either a pair of tinned thicker wires. Carefully cut through the insulation to find the fuse. This may be open circuit now. You can get a replacement and replace the fuse...

The problem is that the traf is in a case and i have to cut it with my dremel to open it. TBH i dont care about the box it is in beacuse i can get a 2-3 dollar replacement of it. And about the wattage i dont care as well because i never run the system at full power :).

Hey guys. About the transformer. I got it rewound same number of turns(790) same diameter of wire (0.35mm). Actually before it broke the traf was giving 14.5v (13.5 was written on case). So now the voltage went up to 15.5v :( . Will that be a problem? Hope not. Its giving a bit of noise because its out of its glued box. Im going to dip it in candle wax to remove the noise. Actually it aint so much of a big deal but i want it to go :D. BTW my sound system is Creative Inspire t6100 5.1 RMS wattage is 76w. Cheers!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.