Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Step-up and step-down power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
step up power supply

Hi,

I plan to use either 4 cells of alkaline batteries (4 x 1.5V) or an AC adapter of +9V @ 2.2A as the main power source and step-up, step-down this power source to create few different voltage supplies (+12V, +3.3V and +1.8V).

My problem is should I be stepping down the +1.8V from the main power source or stepping down from the regulated +3.3V (which is first step-down from the +9V). This is because the voltage difference between +3.3V and +1.8V is only +1.5V while the voltage difference between the +9V and +1.8V is as high as +7.2V. I think there will be waste of energy for such a conversion, right?

How should I arrange it such that the power efficiency is optimum?

I decided to use a boost converter to step up the power source to +12V. As for the step-down part, I am not sure whether to use a Linear Regulator or a Buck converter to perform the step-down. Linear Regulator is easy to be used but the efficiency maybe lower. A buck converter can achieve much better efficiency but more complicated to build. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,
eric

Hi,
Personally I would use separate buck regulators from the raw supply for each of the step down voltages.
Bob.

since you are using boost converter to step up to 12v, then it's better use boost converter to step down...and step down to 3.3V 1st then to lower voltage later.normally i do like this la...

you can use charge pump for your 12V and use adjustable regulator for your 3.3volts

Status
Not open for further replies.