Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

std_logic_vector to integer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dksagra

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to convert std_logic_vector to integer...
in the problem, i have std_logic_vector of 16 bit and signed..

please help me out..

regards

use ieee.numeric_std.all;

my_integer <= to_integer( signed(my_slv) );

I think we can also use
my_integer <= conv_integer(std_logic_type);

xtcx's proposal is the only thing that would work for an "std_logic_vector".
TrickyDicky's suggestion will convert a "signed" or "unsigned" vector to an integer - As he mentioned, it is however the formal and standard conversion to use.

std_logic_vector uses the non-standard synopsis liabraries.

xtcx's proposal is the only thing that would work for an "std_logic_vector".
TrickyDicky's suggestion will convert a "signed" or "unsigned" vector to an integer - As he mentioned, it is however the formal and standard conversion to use.

std_logic_vector uses the non-standard synopsis liabraries.
TrickyDicky's example does convert std_logic_vector to integer. The conversion is done in two steps because you must specify if there is a sign bit or not in the std_logic_vector.

conv_integer is not part of the official standard libraries, and it is confusing because you can't mix signed and unsigned in one entity.
It is defined for std_logic_vector in the non-standard libraries std_logic_unsigned and std_logic_signed, but you can only use one of them in an entity.

It seems to be very hard for people to switch to numeric_std from the old non-standard libraries std_logic_arith, std_logic_unsigned and std_logic_signed.
It requires a slightly different coding style, and I therefore strongly recommend beginners to only use numeric_std.
The standard library numeric_std has been available for about 20 years, so I can't believe that some VHDL books that you buy today use the old non-standard libraries.
If you see a book or tutorial that use the old libraries, burn it and get something else!
Otherwise you will get bad habits that can be difficult to break (like smoking).

It requires a slightly different coding style, and I therefore strongly recommend beginners to only use numeric_std.

What do you mean by "different coding style"?

What do you mean by "different coding style"?

The main thing is to use types "unsigned" and "signed" instead of "std_logic_vector" for signals and ports when you want to use them for arithmetic operations.
With the old libraries, std_logic_vector is often used for "everything". If you do it like that with numeric_std the code will be full of conversions and castings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back