Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status of AC appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanni1303

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need to read the status of the AC appliance (FAN, Light etc) how to read in Digital (On or OFF) is there any sensor to read AC switch status.

In general, read voltage across the switch. If you get a reading, the switch is open. However there are appliances which contain two switches: 1 manual, 1 automatic internal. Then the status is difficult to read.

Or do you want to know when the appliance is drawing current? Then you might insert a low ohm resistor, and read voltage across it. Or try to detect a magnetic field around one wire of the power cord. The wire must be a single wire, because if paired then they cancel each other's AC field.

with simple resitor I could read the voltage. But how can I connect to my Controller, I don't think there is Isolator works on input AC and Output DC can you elaborate?

For obvious reasons it's better not to allow high voltage mains AC to reach your microcontroller. An optocoupler/ optoisolator makes a safe detection method.

Each appliance needs to be examined, to find the easiest way to detect its on/off status. It could require that you rearrange wires, or install a junction block, etc.

Does the appliance contain a transformer? Motor? You might detect 'On' status by placing a telephone pickup coil near it. Basically it's a coil consisting of many turns of thin wire. It is sensitive to magnetic flux fields nearby.

Current sensor module are in market . Add it with opam callibrate it in 5 volt and get ur job done

Status
Not open for further replies.