Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

startup or BIG Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv_emf

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What r pros n cons of working with small startup company when compared with BIG reputed company !!

I don't have much experience but here goes:

Never work for a start-up unless you are really passionate about what you do and believe that you can be a part of the company and make it grow. Otherwise its bad both for you and for the company. On the other hand in a big company your performance and passion has relatively less significant impact.

Stock options are also a plus in big companies but if you happened to work for one of the few fortunate startups then your renumeration options will also grow with the company.

These are my views and my views alone. Others may find them contradicting, feel free to correct the above statements.

shiv_emf

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
if ur fresher start upp is great company , u can learn a lot ,.. else other wise !!

shiv_emf

You will learn a lot at a Startup. You will be given lots of responsibility, you will participate on the creation of designs and flows from the ground up. You will have a broader view of the company's products. If the company is growing and is successful you will have lots of growth opportunities. But along with all that comes high risk. These companies can vanish very rapidly.

On the other hand on Top-20 semiconductor company you will learn common design practices of the industry, you will have opportunities to relocate, your CV will list a well-know player, you can climb the foreseen career ladder. But you will be more specialized and will have a narrower view of the design/product.

I think you should try both throughout your career. I have worked in both small and big companies and I enjoyed both.

cheers

shiv_emf

first try the big company if you are a greenhand then you can move a startup when you got experienced.

shiv_emf

wonderful to get so many replies !!!

thanks a ton! ..

I am into second year of Masters in VLSI ..how r da opportunities for internship ?

If you are young, energetic, ready to learn alot, and don't have any major responsibilities (like wife and children),.. I would recommend going to a startup. You can always get a job at a big company later on.

shiv_emf

Being in a startup you can learn a lot since you will have to be involved in many aspects of the project. and you can interact with almost everyone which helps in knowing more! one small thing which might be an issue is with the tools usually startups cant afford the high priced tools(espicially eda related). getting knowledge and exposure by investing some more time you can lateron move on to a big company with the knowledge you have acquired... thats my take!

shiv_emf

Hi ,
I would like to advise you to join the start up company. At the start up you will go through all the phase of the product design cycle/design cycle of the project. While in the big companies, work is distributed equally in the groups. So start with the start up and then be master in specific field and then join the big company.

Hope this will help you to take decision.

shiv_emf

My experience
start-up - good quality work
product company - junk work

shiv_emf

agree with vak..same here..i have been through a startup and a biggie..

in startup --> life has a meaning, u have the bigger picture, u are in control of your career..
bigger company-->die in the wool, fewer opportunities,tunnel vision..

shiv_emf

skygazer said:
agree with vak..same here..i have been through a startup and a biggie..

in startup --> life has a meaning, u have the bigger picture, u are in control of your career..
bigger company-->die in the wool, fewer opportunities,tunnel vision..

die in the wool :O ... becoz of AC? :D

thanks to all guys ! I hav signed up for internship @ GD micro :)

Shiv

If U plan Ur own business, the start-up is better for U, because many things U must face and many U can study. If U want to be a good employee, BIG is Ur choice.

shiv_emf

in small companies you'll grow horizontally (acquire a lot of knowledge but no depth in that),in big companies you'll grow vertically (small skillset but a lot of depth in the understanding)..I am not agreed with the philosophy of acquiring a lot of knowledge from here and there(just become an expert ).If you are sure what you want to do than go for big company as when you move up the ladder in small company(if they dont have a well defined job role) then you may get experience of each and every flow like design,verification,testing,pnr,sta,xtalk..And believe me big companies doesnot prefers such candidates.You have to present yourself expert of at least one field while switching and will have to give some examples in favour of that....

shiv_emf

don't forget : big company grows from start up company,

shiv_emf

phoenixfeng said:
don't forget : big company grows from start up company,

can u put it in different words.. I agree tht BIg companys ver also a start up ! THings hav changed n ppl working mite run scripts n analyze result.. no coding business i hope.. plz correct me
thank u

Hi Shiv,

startups are good for learning besides Big companies also providing good training

Chances for your internship will depends on your college and how you performed.

shiv_emf

Big companies will be highly organised and you will know what you are doing.
In small ones, may be disoragnised but the chances of learning will be good.

shiv_emf

what is r pros n cons? i think you can start your carreer in small company for experience.

shiv_emf

People like to say startups are good for learning, but it is only for experienced people.
Real startups usually do not hide fresh grad.
Don't go to an interview at a startup and said you would like to work there because you could learn more.
Startups do provide you the opportunity to explode more and have more responsibility, but you are expected to do the work without much, if any, supervision or mentoring.
Of course, you do get support from other colleagues, but don't expect someone would always be there to answer your questions or teach you how to do things.
Of course, I am talking about real startups whose focus is to get the products out ASAP. There are also old startups that would hire fresh grad.
If you are fresh grad. big companies would be a better choice as you get to know the managed and systematic way to do things and since you probably will get less responsibilities you won't feel too much pressure and can have time to really learn something.

shiv_emf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back