Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting with VHDL and newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_1

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Starting with VHDL, Im newbie

Hello
i want to learn VHDL Programming and work with high frequency digital gate.
could you tell me
1-what is the best reference and book for learn VHDL?
2-what is the best and easiest Compiler ?
3-what is the inexpensive and good IC for work with vhdl?

Thanks

Hi,

You will see many good references when you search for "vhdl tutorial" on google.
The best way to learn it would be by designing something and implementing it on hardware. You can download design software which includes compiler (synthesizer) and implementation tools from major FPGA vendor's website.
For example,

ISE Webpack from xilinx
Quartus-II from Altera
Libero from Actel

They even come with a simulation tool.
For implementation, I think the best way would be buying one of development kits from these major vendors. I've used Xilinx Spartan-III, Altera Cyclone-III and Actel Igloo development boards, they were relatively cheap (around 100 dollar) and very easy to use...

Reactions: baby_1

baby_1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Start with "Digital Logic and Microprocessor Design with VHDL" by Enoch Hwang. It's a great book for a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of digital design using VHDL. Personally I thought the book was very readable with plenty of example problems and that the author has a clear way of expressing ideas.

baby_1

Start with "Digital Logic and Microprocessor Design with VHDL" by Enoch Hwang. It's a great book for a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of digital design using VHDL. Personally I thought the book was very readable with plenty of example problems and that the author has a clear way of expressing ideas.
The author has made the "VHDL summary" appendix available on his website, and unfortunately the book uses the non-standard libraries "std_logic_arith", "std_logic_unsigned" etc.
For a beginner I recommend a book that uses "numeric_std", which has been the IEEE standard for about 20 years.

The library has a significant impact on the code, so the selection is important.
I want every beginner to know that there is a choice to be made here.
At work, we are only allowed to use numeric_std.
It is much easier to learn numeric_std from the beginning than to switch to it later.
I accept that some designers use std_logic_arith, but I think it should an active choice and not decided by randomly getting a book to learn VHDL.

Look at "The designer's guide to VHDL" by Peter J. Ashenden:
https://www.amazon.com/Designers-Guide-VHDL-Systems-Silicon/dp/1558602704

Unfortunately, it is normally impossible to know which libraries a book uses without looking at some example pages.
Reviews normally don't mention this.

The author has made the "VHDL summary" appendix available on his website, and unfortunately the book uses the non-standard libraries "std_logic_arith", "std_logic_unsigned" etc.
For a beginner I recommend a book that uses "numeric_std", which has been the IEEE standard for about 20 years.

The library has a significant impact on the code, so the selection is important.
I want every beginner to know that there is a choice to be made here.
At work, we are only allowed to use numeric_std.
It is much easier to learn numeric_std from the beginning than to switch to it later.
I accept that some designers use std_logic_arith, but I think it should an active choice and not decided by randomly getting a book to learn VHDL.

Look at "The designer's guide to VHDL" by Peter J. Ashenden:
http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Guide-VHDL-Systems-Silicon/dp/1558602704

Unfortunately, it is normally impossible to know which libraries a book uses without looking at some example pages.
Reviews normally don't mention this.

I agree "The designer's guide to VHDL" is a good book, but one for a seasoned FPGA/VHDL designer. For a beginner I don't necessarily like the fact that the author doesn't differentiate enough between constructs and concepts used for simulation vs. synthesis vs. modeling, it can lead to a lot of confusion. And for a beginner I would place more emphasis on digital design fundamentals rather than language specifics. For a seasoned engineer the book is an invaluable resource however. Also, proper use of the language's libraries is very important, I do agree.

Also for the OP as far as "good ICs to work with".. I would start out with a development board

You should find what you need at either of these:
http://www.digilentinc.com/
http://www.terasic.com.tw/en/

Last edited:

baby_1

thanks to all
now what books you suggest that can be useful from beginning to professional (history of ICs, Technology,Digital Design and ...)?

Status
Not open for further replies.