Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] starting with networking using zigbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandi_2u

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Friends,
I am having Digi XBee module.by using this module i had completed basic node to node communication i.e between two microcontrollers. Now i would like to form a network using this module. can anyone help me how to start this.Which materials will helpful for me to study?

Thanks in Advance
R.Pandiaraj

If the xBee is a series 1, the factory default firmware is "802.15.4" which is point-to-multipoint, it can be converted to the "DigiMesh 2.4" firmware for mesh networking.
Also keep in mind the series 1 and the series 2 are not compatible and cannot establish communications.

You can check out the new EDABoard group:

Embedded Wireless Networks - WiFi, ZigBee, MiWi, 802.15.4, Bluetooth & RF

I have posted numerous tutorials, setup guides and example projects, many concerning ZigBee and xBees and I post more every day.

If you want to setup a DigiMesh network, I can post some documentation relevant to the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the xBee is a series 1, the factory default firmware is "802.15.4" which is point-to-multipoint, it can be converted to the "DigiMesh 2.4" firmware for mesh networking.
Also keep in mind the series 1 and the series 2 are not compatible and cannot establish communications.

You can check out the new EDABoard group:

Embedded Wireless Networks - WiFi, ZigBee, MiWi, 802.15.4, Bluetooth & RF

I have posted numerous tutorials, setup guides and example projects, many concerning ZigBee and xBees and I post more every day.

If you want to setup a DigiMesh network, I can post some documentation relevant to the subject.

dear bigdogguru,
links are very useful for me. can you give some more links to form mesh networks and if possible some example projects

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

links are very useful for me. can you give some more links to form mesh networks and if possible some example projects

Sure, I'll sort through my archive and post relevant links, docs and projects. What series are your Digi xBees?

dear bigdogguru,
your materials helped me a lot. i have learned some basics and now i started to work with that module. Initially i am trying to configure the XBee from PI16F877A. For that i have sent three plus signs. but my zigbee is not entering into AT mode and it is not replying "OK" . always it is in pass through mode. whatever i am sending from my code, is received at other zigbeee which is connected with PC. can you help me in finding the mistakes i have made. below i am writing my code.

#include<pic.h>
#include"uart_driver.c"

void enter_into_cmd_mode(void);
void change_to_channel(unsigned char);
void write_to_xbee(void);
void exit_cmd(void);

void main()
{
initialise_uart();
enable_uart_interrupt();

mode = normal;
put_byte('O');
delay(1);

enter_into_cmd_mode();
change_to_channel('D');
write_to_xbee();
exit_cmd();
put_byte('K');
delay(1);

while(1){}
}

void enter_into_cmd_mode()
{
// print_uart("+++");
put_byte(43);
DelayMs(50);
put_byte(43);
DelayMs(50);
put_byte(43);
DelayMs(50);
}

void change_to_channel(unsigned char ch_no)
{
print_uart("ATCH=");
put_byte(ch_no); // ATCH=channel_no
put_byte(13);
}

void write_to_xbee()
{
print_uart("ATWR");
put_byte(13);
}

void exit_cmd()
{
print_uart("ATCN");
put_byte(13);

}

thanks in advance,
R.Pandiaraj

The XB24-AWI-001 is a XBee Series 1 device which comes preloaded with only the 802.15.4 Protocol, which is why it appears to be allows in pass through mode.

However the device can be updated with an alternative firmware.

I'll take a look at your software tonight.

BigDog

Thank you very much for your reply, No problem I ll wait for your reply.

if i am giving from hyperterminal i am getting replies from XBee like below

+++OK
AT
OK
ATCH
C
ATBD

the same thing i am giving from microcontroller, but it is passing the values to other nodes.

R.Pandiaraj

dear bigdogguru,
i had solved my problem. the mistake i did is after sending character 'O' suddenly i sent three plus signs in my code. that is why XBee is not entrered in AT mode. Now i introduced more than 5 sec delay after sending 'O'. So now XBee is entering in AT mode.
thankyou very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back