Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starting DSP's help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebisman

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to start with DSP's, and I need you recommend a good starting point.

1) I need your advice for a cheaper SDK

2) I need to work over TI or Motorola family because these families are integrated with Matlab and I'm developing an application of nonlinear control which is simulated and developed under this package.

3) I don't need A/D conversion or audio CODEC because I have to process two signals previously digitized, and I have to output two pwm signals for control.

Help me please

Nebisman

Dear nebisman,

First of all, the following combination of tools and software was working for me. It may not suit your needs.

I begun my DSP study using the TMS320C3x DSK board, TI's C3x C-compiler and a book written by Rulph Chassaing "Digital Signal Processing: Laboratory Experiments Using C and the TMS320C31 DSK". TI's TMS320c3x user manual is also very essential throughout the learning process. One big drawback of this combination (according to your requirements) is that you won't have seamless integration with MATLAB like (e.g. TI's EVM ). However, IMHO, the TMS320c31 DSK (a bit outdated, ) is the cheapest DSP board for starters like me and you (about 99 USD).

One final note, I believe that you may have to get your hands dirty by studying your choice of DSP chip's architecture and its assembly instructions, in order to fully understand what is going on inside the DSP chip and get something done.

Well that's my two cents, Dspnut.

**broken link removed**

I think first you should decide wheather you want a floating point DSP or fixed point ? For fixed point case I think TMS320C5402 with 100 MIPS processing power is a good choice you can buy its DSK from TI with reasonable price

I believe mi choice is floating point, (I need too many float operations in the calculation of nonlinear control). I need to process 2 signals with involved math operations.

Thanks for your help

nebisman

Reactions: elen

elen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, IMHO, using fixed point dsp chip doesn't mean that we cannot do mathematic operations. We just have to be extra careful (about the accuracy of fixed-point mathematic operations) when using this kind of dsp chip. A lot can be done using the fixed point dsp chip. Also, it's cheaper than the floating point type. ;-)

elen

:eek: double posts .. sorry :oops:

elen

Hi nebisman,

You may also want to look at the SHARK floating point DSP from analog device. The development Kit comes with C a compiler that will make code development very easy. It also has a DSP lib that make writing DSP code very easy and the complete kit is only US $179. I have used it to do digital filtering and linear control with MATLAB computing the filter coef and storing them in a txt file and then the C compiler would look at the file when it time to generate the filter code. I was able to go from nothing to a working prototype in a few days.

ServoPump

elen

Hi,

Which SDK did you use for the sharc ?

I'm getting interets in quick results...

elen

ti's tms320c6000 family dsp is the trend now for vendors and manufacturers to implement most of the dsp related products in telecommunications, high speed switching, advanced networking and etc. . 320c5000 family is good also.. for 320c2000 family, it is very suitable to develop low-end products such as automatic gain or volume control, audio feedback detector and cancellation products.

If you chose to use fixed point DSP, consider also to evaluate MOTOROLA DSP. They have an archutecture of 24 bits insted of 16 bits, like ANALOG and TI. This could be a valid low cost alternative to floating point.

Bye

**broken link removed**

elen

ADSP-2181 Evaluation kit from Analog Devices is the cheapest and costs only $89. It is a fixed point DSP for starting.

hi,
If you want to have a PWM output I recommend you TMS320C28X. they work up to 150 MIPS and have useful pripherals like PWM generator. the most important note is that this family is 32 bit.

good luck

First, you have to look at the current consuption of DSP's. Fixed point are good for low power apps. Floating point DSP's have more efficiency but consuming more power....

elen

I've work with many DSPs and here is just some of my personal experiences.

Use a floating point DSP if you really need to. In most cases, fixed
point DSP will work fine in most cases.

If you are working with high quality audio, which upto 24-bit, you
maybe out of luck with fixed point DSP. Although you can certainly
use Motorola DSP to do it, which is the few 24-bit DSPs, a 32-bit
floating point DSP will be easier and sometimes cheaper to work
with.

For Motorola DSP, I do hope they fixed this already. You can
only implement a circular buffer at 15-bit, eventhough the DSP is
24-bit. The modulo unit is 16-bit in size so if you have large
circular buffer requirement, (such as long audio delay), you are
better use TI.

For beginner, I recommend Analog Device. Their cheapest fixed
point 21XX are very good DSPs and the toolset is good too.
Motorola DSP toolset is rather poor compared to everybody else.

TI DSP is very powerful. They usually pack with tons of peripherals.
But they can be very distracting if you don't really need them. I
think TI DSP is for advance DSP user that needs a lot of extra
stuff and knows not just DSP but uC structure very well.

Anyway, good luck with your learning.

Gunship

check Ti and Analog Device web page. They have SDK for less than $200

I think you have not considered the Motorola 56800 family on the whole. It is very versatile, it is well priced and has professional ide, with integrated compiler and debugger. The basic DSP boards are about 50 to 80 US dollars FOB (56F800DEMO board and 56F83X demo board). They also have a very complete free sdk offer.
These are almost all flash devices 16-bit fixed-point with internal RAM, PWMs and Timers. I have been using them for almost two years. They have also a very busy group on yahoo called motoroladsp.

try hxxp://e-www.motorola.com

We've bought a c5510 dsk at around US$400. With this price you get a full functional ccs ide. (The limitation is ccs can only work with this dsk). And it comes with a embeded jtag via USB. You don't need to buy a seperate debuger(which is much more expensive). And the BIOS rtos kernel is also provided. So to play with some DSP algorithm, it is not bad.

regards

i want use some system in industy control (ad/da and io ) , which will i use arm or dsp,can anybody give me an idea

Which SDK did you use for the sharc ?

I'm getting interets in quick results...

Status
Not open for further replies.