Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting back out again (I'm new!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm planning on getting started back into the whole PIC thing.

Few years ago, I was playing with 16F84 and 16F628 in a mech. class. I used Microcode Studio and with some Melabs programmer(forgot which). Unfortunately, I forgot everything.

I was browsing around the other day, and found a few JDM programmers that are cheap(programmers used to be upwards of 100 bucks), so I decided to try playing with pics again. Right now, I have on order 2x 16F877 (they're not samples from microchip), and various crystals(still need ceramic caps).

Anyways, I'm starting out completely clueless about pics again, and I'm stuck with a couple problems:

which software should I use? looking online, I see people using winpic800, ic-prog or epic. which would be the best for my 16f877?

also, I was planning out the blinking led project and I calculated that i need ~130ohm resistors, but websites online say that you need 470-600ohm resistors.
Why?
I calculated as follows LED amp = .025A, Vsource = 5V Vtarget = 1.7V.
So V = IR, we get:

.025*130 = 3.3V
5V - 3.3V = 1.7V

Did i do something wrong?

Im new also , I use a 16f877a or 18f4520 and MPLAB with the C18 compiler which i find easy to use. I would recommend buying a cheap development board , i use the PICDEM2+ with an ICD3. I believe it is easier to learn to program without having to worry about hardware issues that a homemade board could cause.

As for the resistor value i think your mistake is the current of 25mA. You didnt mention a specific LED type but it is common for LED's to run ~10ma , so if you take the given values of 5v / 470 ohm you get ~10mA

good luck

Hi,

If you're starting over again, I recommend you use mikroC or mikroBASIC compiler.

Code:
http://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikroc/pro/pic/

[url]https://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikrobasic/pro/pic/[/url]

If you plan to be using PICs for a long enough time, you'd be better getting a PICKit2 (or PICKit3, although I don't know much about this).
If you want, you could get the EasyPIC5 or EasyPIC6 from mikroElektronika or you could just use a breadboard or verroboard.

For resistor and blinking LED:
Code:
Consider LED current = 10mA = 0.01A, for red LED, 1.7v, for green 2.3v, for blue 3.5v, etc.
I assume you're using a red LED.
So, V = 5v - 1.7v = 3.3v
I = V/R = 3.3/0.01 = 330R

For common general purpose low power LEDs, you should allow currents of about 10mA, which should be plenty.

Hope this helped.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back