Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starter Kit Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to electronics and would like to learn more about microcontrollers for fun.

I bought an Arduino board earlier this year and enjoyed learning a little about programming and electronics from it.

I would like something that involves more detail about what happens within the microcontroller (not sure how to describe what I'm looking for...but using assembly language sounds interesting).

I read a post that mentioned a PIC based starter kit. Microchip.com seems to have a lot of options but I'm not sure what to get.

**broken link removed**

Could someone provide a link to a starter kit for under $200 that would be a good introduction to microcontrollers but more detailed than the Arduino?

I also came across NerdKits...NerdKits - Store

Thank you!

Hi,

Sure you will get several differing views on your question, but I'll open with my views.

The Arduino is geared up for its C++ and a bit surprised you have soon become bored with it.

I expect you could program it with Assembler but do not know what ide etc you need.

Microchips Pics cover a wide range from 8 to 32 bit, the problem is Pic24 and above, while having Assembler available they are generally considered C devices.
I know those Pic32 boards look so inviting !

The 10F 12F 16F and 18 F ranges are the ones to look at for Assembler, my persoanl choice being the 18Fs.

Mircochip have a good range of dev boards, have a look at their site.

As for the many third party boards it hard to say which would meet your needs, but be carefull as some also offer there own software which can make things restrictive.

What about building your own dev board ?
Start off with a ready made programmer like the Pickit2 or 3 , add a LCD, a few switches and leds to get you going, add extra devices as you progress.

I agree with wp100. It could be very interesting to build own development board. In that case, you can choose which compiler and programmer you will be use.

If you thinking about Mikroelektronika development board, I suggest you think well do you need that board without MikroC compiler (or MikroBasic). Maybe you know well programming in assembler, but programming GLCD in assembly code, oh I do not want think about that. I suggest you this, because MikroC editor and compiler are commercial software, but it is very good and useful. But, you can compile for free every code until 4KB of flash memory.

I own Mikro development board EasyAVR5A, and I am satisfied with it. But, I tried to make c code in AVRStudio, and very fast I installed MikroC for AVR. OK, they do not give you library to see code, but they are good enough and they do not need optimization for common use.

the Microchip microstick is very good value (about £16 in UK)
**broken link removed**

comes with PIC24 and dsPIC processors, has an integrated programmer/debugger and header to plug into a breadboard.

More advanced is the microstick II which supports PIC24, dsPIC and PIC32 processors
**broken link removed**

also worth looking at is the Explorer 16
**broken link removed**

software such as the MPLAB IDE and C compilers are free are academic use

I highly recommend buying MPLAB IDE (the software/compilers) and the PicKit 3, and just experimenting with DIP-package microcontrollers. The kit I started with is relatively cheap on Ebay:

**broken link removed**

I'm not suggesting PIC is the best, but more that starting with "loose" microcontrollers and making your own circuits is better. You can buy as many high-level development boards as you want, but you'll never really learn properly unless you get experience building the circuits yourself. It's important to learn about things like decoupling, signal integrity, noise, pull-up/pull-down resistors, and even simple things like LED current-limiting, that lots of high-level pre-made boards don't really worry you with.

Arduino kits are good beginner items, but there's a limit to your learning if all you're doing is typing commands like "Blink_LED3()" or "Send_Word_To_LCD()", without having written the program or knowing what it takes to build up the circuit around the microcontroller. There's absolutely nothing *wrong* with high-level languages and pre-fab kits, but you just aren't going to learn as much.

Doing it from scratch takes more time, sure, but you learn much more in the long run. You'll want to get a a "grab-bag" of resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, voltage regulators, and batteries, too. All in all, setting up should cost under $100 for everything you need, and recurring costs are pretty low.

MikroElektronika have a good range of development boards
**broken link removed**

if you are interested in mechatronics facalities Bytronic have just released a PIC24 based board with keypad, LCD, USB host and device, IrDA, Zigbee, motor, heater, Canbus, etc
**broken link removed**

In my view .....If you are really looking for micro-controller learning aspect....and you are really new.... then I will suggest that better to start with basic chip like 8051 and then you can go on 16 bit micro-controller and then to 32 bit micro-controller....as it will develop some compantancy..... for 8051 and 16 bit micro-controller many things are readly avalible on net ... but if you use some thing like 32 bit micro-controller to begain with the trouble shooting will be bit complex...Any ways.... here on the forum with some experts ...which can help you out there also

Good Luck

Reactions: Bojo

Bojo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I would like to thank everyone for replying here.

The information and suggestions have been very helpful.

I would like to pursue an 8051 centered kit.

I am asking people to direct me to an online supplier of a kit or the necessary components to ship to the United States.

If you have recommendations, then please post in my new thread here. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.