Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

start-up circuit for ptat current

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarric

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the circuit shows below

71_1275881820.gif

whether this R1 and C1 are a proper start-up circuit ?

if the circuit is ok ,then what's the proper value for R1 and C1

R1 and C1 do not form a startup circuit. If all the nodes are zero, it will never startup

PaloAlto said:
... If all the nodes are zero, it will never startup
Surely it will: When VDD is switched on (even if it rises slowly), C initially provides the necessary startUp current. The limiting R isn't necessary, IMHO, because the pmos limits the current anyway.

erikl said:
PaloAlto said:
... If all the nodes are zero, it will never startup
Surely it will: When VDD is switched on (even if it rises slowly), C initially provides the necessary startUp current. The limiting R isn't necessary, IMHO, because the pmos limits the current anyway.

Could you explain it in detail?
Why C provides the startUp current?
Thanks.

erikl said:

Oops, you are totally right. If the node is zero, the P type transistors are on and if the node is higher than zero, the cap can provide the current. I have spoken too fast.

I would not use this. The cap can store charge so relying on it always being low at startup is a bad idea.

frankliner said:
I would not use this. The cap can store charge so relying on it always being low at startup is a bad idea.
Right: If you want to switch on the circuit several seconds after switching off, you should spend a (very) hi-ohmic resistor in parallel to the cap to discharge it.

I have used junction capacitors as startup circuits in bipolar PTAT & bandgap designs and they work fine provided you ensure there is a discharge path for the capacitor. I cannot remember the exact mechanism in the designs I did but there was a distinct, predictable discharge path when the power was removed (possibly through one of the wells being forward biased when the power collapsed). The discharge could also be seen in simulations.

Keith.

zarric

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
what value should the Cap be?Is there any principle to set the value?

I think the value depends on the possible leakage you need to overcome and the rate of rise of the power supply. Normally when designing such circuits I deliberately add in an excessive amount of leakage & check the circuit doesn't work. Then add the startup circuit with the slowest power supply rise you expect and make sure it then works.

Keith

keith1200rs said:
I think the value depends on the possible leakage you need to overcome and the rate of rise of the power supply. Normally when designing such circuits I deliberately add in an excessive amount of leakage & check the circuit doesn't work. Then add the startup circuit with the slowest power supply rise you expect and make sure it then works.

Keith
Thanks a lot.

keith1200rs said:
Remember to check at the highest operating temperature.

Keith
Hi Keith,could you explain it in detail?Why we should pay special attention to the highest OP temperature?

Because that is when leakage will be highest and so when the circuit is most likely to fail. However, do also check at low temperatures - on theory is that the higher leakage of the larger transistor will be sufficient to ensure starting, but that is not a method I have relied on, even though simulations may show it to be the case. It is a method which caused some controversial discussion, I think.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back