Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Standards for power over data lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovaka

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
power over data options

ive been researching for some kid of a standard that will allow me to run power over data lines but i havent been able to find the right fit yet so i figured i would ask you guys
it needs to be between 24-48v dc run on only 2 wires be able to transmit over a relatively far distance up to several thousand feet but it doesnt need to be all that fast rs485 speeds is more then enough

Re: power over data options

I am afraid it can't be done with only two conductors (UTP=unshielded twisted pair) ..
You need at least one more conductor, maybe cables's shield, if it is available ..

Some related issues are here:
"Understanding Common-Mode Signals"
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

yes it can i know of 2 companies that have a product that does exactly that but they wont tell me anything about it and i cant seem to find anything else that does it
here is a link to the spec page of one of them
https://www.fireone.com/system_spec.htm

IanP said:
I am afraid it can't be done with only two conductors (UTP=unshielded twisted pair) ..
You need at least one more conductor, maybe cables's shield, if it is available ..

Some related issues are here:
"Understanding Common-Mode Signals"
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

what is a way that it could be done with 3 wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back