Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

standard document on ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_ray

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you provide good standard document on ethernet to learn ethernet instead of the IEEE Ethernet specification file? The IEEE ethernet specification file is too big file to finish to learn about ethernet. So a good small document on ethernet will help.

What's your actual field of interest? In terms of IEEE 802, ethernet is nothing but a specific protocol among others. IEEE 802 is mainly specifying the physical network layer. The logical ethernet (IP) protocol specification has been originally layed down in the internet RFCs.

Additionally, there's a huge choice of text books dealing with all aspects of the net.

What does people refer to when they ask " Are you familiar with ethernet"? Do they refer to the IEEE 802 spec? Ethernet was standardized as IEEE 802 and that is described in the specification. What do you mean by logical ethernet? Why is not the logical ethernet provided in IEEE 802 spec?

Logical layer is IP, TCP, UDP and various application protocols.

Logical layer is IP, TCP, UDP and various application protocols.

Q1. Do you want to mean the layers other than the bottom layer in OSI model bu logical layer?

You did not answer the following question:
Q2. What does people refer to when they ask " Are you familiar with ethernet"? Do they refer to the IEEE 802 spec?

Another question to ask:

Q3. Ethernet was standardized as IEEE 802 and that is described in the specification. Is it also that the logical layer is part of ethernet?

Regards

Q2. What does people refer to when they ask " Are you familiar with ethernet"? Do they refer to the IEEE 802 spec?

I can't answer the question, beacuse I don't know what people mean.

I was referring to the standards as far as I'm aware of them. Although you have been complaining about the voluminous IEEE 802, you should at least take a short view at the Scope chapter of IEEE 802 Overview and Architecture. It clarifies the relation between IEEE 802 and RFCs as it is referring exlusively to RFCs for the specification of protocols like TCP etc.

FVM

Q1. Do you want to mean the layers other than the bottom layer in OSI model bu logical layer?

Can you please provide the name of a standard book or website document where ethernet has been decribed to learn rather than learning from voluminous IEEE 802 spec?
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back