Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stand alone PIC copier/programmer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ful babu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic copier

any one have any schematic / idea ?

thx

alone pic

I've designed a couple home-brew high voltage programmers with serial port connection to a PC and the circuitry is simple enough... One programmer was 18F2320 based and the other was 16F88 based... Basically you need circuity for switching VDD and VPP to the target and for toggling target PGC and PGD pins using the commands and specifications outlined in the Programming Specifications document for that particular target device... Power and switching circuit examples are everywhere... Look at the programmer schematics on the www.ic-prog.com site and be sure to check out the ICD2 clone schematic on Lothar Stolz's stolz.de.be web site... I believe there are a few schematics on this forum as well...

Building a 'stand alone copier' is another matter and circuitry will depend on how much data you need to buffer or store from the 'source' PIC... If you need the capability to copy most PIC flash devices, you're going to need to buffer 64-Kbytes (there are a few PIC devices with more than 64-Kbytes or 32-Kwords of flash memory)... You could use an 8-pin 64-Kbyte I2C serial EEProm like the 24LC512 but I think you'd find it would take several minutes to write a full 64-Kbytes to it... You might also consider using one or two 8-pin 32-Kbyte I2C serial RAMs like those from RamTron which would be considerably faster and retain data much like an EEProm...

Good luck with your project... Regards, Mike

pic programmer standalone memory

Mike, i'm afraid u misunderstood my 'stand alone programmer' part, i meant, i need a programmer which will not be connected to a pc while programming a pic, i.e. a mobile device tat can flash s pic through icsp

thx

eeprom copier ic copier schematic

Sorry, I thought I understood your requirements... I was simply describing my RS232 programmers for you in terms of 'power' and 'switching' circuit examples that I suspect would be required in almost any ICSP programmer...

I suspect your 'stand-alone programmer' would have an LCD display and push-buttons, yes, no? And you would still need circuitry to switch target VDD, VPP, PGC, and PGD? And you would still need memory to capture 'source' PIC code, eeprom, idloc, and config data? Is that a fair assumption?

Best regards, Mike

pic copier schematics

LCD ?? not necessary, lemme explain a bit more , firstly i'll copy my hex into my programmer. then i take the programmer and can copy tat hex into mcu thru icsp as many time as i want. for indication tat copy is finished led can b used

this can be helpful when u need to update the hex frequently in industry and u dont want to use a laptop/pc for icsp flash, a stand alone copier will do the same th

i belive made u understand

thx

pic to pic copier

me also need such a programmer wich can upload hexfile from pic/eeprom to another pic without using a pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.