[SOLVED] Stacking diodes for high voltage rectification

Status
Not open for further replies.
The load appears to be capacitive, certainly nothing inductive - however would ordinary fast recovery diodes work if their package permits lots of power dissipation?

This is not a capacitor charging application.

if you avalanche these diodes at 200kHz, the solder will melt ...

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
if you avalanche these diodes at 200kHz, the solder will melt ...
Avalanche diodes are mostly used in HV diode stacks, e.g. the 8 kV/2.5A stack of Semikron. Avalanche capability means in this regard, that a diode can start to draw breakdown current without wear, in case stack asymmetry causes exceeding of breakdown voltage for individual diodes. Regularly I would expect an uniform voltage distribution however.

There are devices like Vishay BYG23T-M3, "Ultrafast Avalanche Rectifiers", I wonder what's the feasible current at 200 kHz in terms of turn-off losses.

There are no commercial products that generate > 50kV at greater than 50kHz - for a good set of reasons
I tend to agree

Zak28

What you detailed simply states no RC snubber & resistor combination will permit the diodes to make rectified high voltage since at the minimum of 200kHz each diode has ~15pF of capacity which is ~53K and I = 1kV / 53K = ~18mA which means each diode will be a bidirectional short circuit at those frequencies.

Considering output of the highvoltage is =<180W @ 100KV its a maximum of 1.8mA which isn't enough to cause heating in the diodes but the energy absorbed by them will not output any high voltage making the stack inoperable to rectify the 100kv high frequency. Avalanche diodes will do the same thing since they all have capacity not to mention the waveform would be greatly distorted if the stack did rectify the AM envelopes.

The problem is that for the diodes you seek to use - the source must supply a lot of reactive power as well as the real power to provide the DC to the unknown load.

This is due to the capacitance in the diodes and the arbitrarily high frequency you want to use - if you do a thorough internet search you will find diodes that are nearly up to the job - but they come at a price - common diodes cannot do what you seek to do at 200kHz.

Zak28

What are those diodes which are nearly capable of doing this? Any diode has some capacity at its junction unless its a very low voltage high current schottky or an RF detector diode.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.